• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Import From Travel Catalog

Status
Not open for further replies.

MelissaA

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic 10.4
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I have just returned from a trip where I used a travel catalog with my laptop. I now want to import those images into my main desktop LR catalog. However, when I follow the instructions for import, it comes up as showing no new photos. Can someone help me with figuring this out and getting the images imported into the main catalog, please? I have attached 2 screen shots - one showing the import dialog after it completes and tells me that there are no new photos and one showing the lightroom folder on my external drive that I used for the travel catalog with my laptop.

Attachments

• Import Travel Catalog Dialog.JPG
    Import Travel Catalog Dialog.JPG
    114.1 KB · Views: 140
  • Travel Catalog Folder.JPG
    Travel Catalog Folder.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 126
Thanks. I did figure this out before your reply, and I copied all the settings over to my laptop. But, still no presets show up in the travel catalog develop module. I think I know what the problem might be, but not sure how to fix it. It looks as though the settings are stored in One Drive under "pictures". (This One Drive thing drives me crazy because things often go there automatically, and then I can't find them! I have included a screen shot for this. I've also included a screen shot to show my C Drive hierarchy. When I click on "users", it shows "north" as my name, instead of Melissa as on my desktop. and then there is no pictures folder. There is a one drive folder and the pictures folder is inside of that folder. I think this might be my problem. The file path is not the same as the file path on my desktop. But I don't know how to fix this! What a mess!

Attachments

• LR C Drive.PNG
    LR C Drive.PNG
    138.6 KB · Views: 114
  • LR One Drive.PNG
    LR One Drive.PNG
    148.9 KB · Views: 102
Melisa,

Make sure you have the store presets with catalog when you open up the catalog from the external drive.

My recommendation is to use a fast USB thumb drive, like this one, create a travel catalog on the USB drive, and create a Photos folder within the Lightroom catalog and import your images to the USB drive, making a 2nd copy to the laptop. You should also back up the USB drive with the catalog and photo to the laptop when traveling. Then when you get home, connect the USB drive to your main computer, go to your catalog, go to File|Import from another catalog and go through the steps. See my attached handout.

The advantage of my method is that you are making an image back up when you save a copy to the hard drive, if your laptop get stolen, you still have your catalog, images, and edits on your thumb drive (keep it in your pocket), and you don't have to copy the images and catalog from a laptop, because you've been adding to your usb drive incrementally, and you don't have to travel with an external drive if the USB drive is big enough.

Attachments

• Lightroom on Two Computers 2018.pdf
    206.5 KB · Views: 234
I like your idea Reid. But I have a couple problems with it. I am leaving on a big trip (to Antarctica) in just a few days. I checked on the USB thumb drive and if I order it, it won't arrive until after I leave. I have some thumb drives, but none of them are large enough to handle this situation. Soooo, what I really need to know - given those problems - is can you tell me how to make my current situation work using my EHD? I know what should happen, but I can't access my presets, I think because the file path - which I described in my previous post - is different on the laptop than on the desktop. The presets ARE stored with the catalog.

Could someone help me with this, please? I need to know how to change the file path on my laptop to match the file path on my desktop, and the user name is different on the laptop from the desktop. That means that the file path is interrupted and the LR catalog on the laptop doesn't recognize the presets on my desktop. See the posts above.

Could someone help me with this, please? I need to know how to change the file path on my laptop to match the file path on my desktop, and the user name is different on the laptop from the desktop. That means that the file path is interrupted and the LR catalog on the laptop doesn't recognize the presets on my desktop. See the posts above.

Can you post the full path to the presets on the DESKTOP and the full path to the Lightroom catalog on your LAPTOP

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The full path won't fit in the screen shot, but the desktop is: C>Users>Melissa>Pictures>Lightroom>Lightroom Settings
The laptop file path is: C>Users>North>One Drive>Pictures>Lightroom Settings

I believe the problem is that the paths are different and the laptop doesn't recognize the travel catalog path from the desktop. Is there a way to point LR in the correct direction? I don't know how to change the file path because the user name is different from one machine to the other and One Drive has gotten in the middle of the path.

Attachments

• Desktop file path.JPG
    Desktop file path.JPG
    232.3 KB · Views: 97
  • Laptop file path.PNG
    Laptop file path.PNG
    155.8 KB · Views: 94
One Drive is really a local folder. However, it needs to sync all of the OneDrive Cloud files and folders before your local machine can see them
The Lightroom Settings folder should be in the same folder as the travel catalog. That would be by default “…/pictures/Lightroom/Lightroom Settings. Make sure that your travel catalog preferences has “Store presets with catalog” checked. Otherwise it will look for the Presets in the global folder.

For future reference, when I ask for data I expect it in text form not a screen shot. If I need a screen shot, I will ask specifically. You provided the path information exactly as I wanted to see it.

Store presets with catalog is and has been checked, but the presets still don't show up in the develop module. What else do I need to do?

Store presets with catalog is and has been checked, but the presets still don't show up in the develop module. What else do I need to do?

Look in the Lightroom Settings folder next to your Catalog file. Is it empty or does it have. Develop Presets folder that contains your Develop presets? Lightroom will create new presets there, but older presets (after the check box was checked) need to be moved manually. Unless you manually copied the populated Lightroom Settings folder and its subfolders from the desktop, Lightroom Created an empty Lightroom Settings folder.

I've attached a screen shot of the LR Settings folder and one of the Develop presets folder. It looks like both are populated.

Attachments

• Develp Presets.PNG
    Develp Presets.PNG
    240.8 KB · Views: 110
  • LR Settings.PNG
    LR Settings.PNG
    269.3 KB · Views: 90
So, If this folder named ".../Pictures/Lightroom" contains your Lightroom Catalog, you ought to be able to open that catalog and see your develop presets. Are we there yet? If not, them please ope. that catalog and show me screen shot of the Presets panel from the Develop module.

No, unfortunately, we are not there yet. I think what you meant to type with "ope" is open, correct? I opened the travel catalog on my laptop, took a picture, and the screen shot is attached.

Attachments

• Develp Presets.PNG
    Develp Presets.PNG
    240.8 KB · Views: 111
No, unfortunately, we are not there yet. I think what you meant to type with "ope" is open, correct? I opened the travel catalog on my laptop, took a picture, and the screen shot is attached.
Not what I wanted. Please open the travel catalog, navigate to the develop module and on the left side is a presets panel. Please provide a screen shot of that Presets panel.

Look at the thread I just started on the same subject. It is a different way of doing it that gives you a lot of control over the folders in your master studio PC and doesn't involve exporting catalogs from your laptop or importing catalogs to your PC. You edit on the road as normal with your laptop, write sidecars (or DNG if you want) and then copy the raw files and their sidecars into your folder system on the PC however you want. to organize and name your folders.
Then you simply import the files which are already copied to your PC into the catalog.

Not what I wanted. Please open the travel catalog, navigate to the develop module and on the left side is a presets panel. Please provide a screen shot of that Presets panel.

I'm sorry. I did have this screen shot, but selected the wrong one for the attachment. I think this is what you wanted?

Attachments

• develop module.PNG
    develop module.PNG
    696.7 KB · Views: 100
Look at the thread I just started on the same subject. It is a different way of doing it that gives you a lot of control over the folders in your master studio PC and doesn't involve exporting catalogs from your laptop or importing catalogs to your PC. You edit on the road as normal with your laptop, write sidecars (or DNG if you want) and then copy the raw files and their sidecars into your folder system on the PC however you want. to organize and name your folders.
Then you simply import the files which are already copied to your PC into the catalog.

Thanks for this Greg, but I am leaving on a big trip in a couple of days and don't want to change up my work flow right now.

I'm sorry. I did have this screen shot, but selected the wrong one for the attachment. I think this is what you wanted?

I am having a bit of a problem with the presets panel on a new catalog that I created. IOW I am not able to resolve your problem but seem to be finding issues of my own. I’ll work on this to try to understand whether this is a new bug or if something got broken in v11.

Two things to consider.
1. I stopped using Develop presets a long time ago since the import process did much to replace my need for develop presets .
2. Since I started using Lightroom as a front end, I no longer need to use a travel catalog since everything imported into Lightroom (cloudy) is synced to my master Classic Catalog at home.

I will continue to work on this transfer of develop presets problem as I think it needs to be workable and under stood, I used it for many years when I used a laptop instead of an iPadPro.

But if we do run out of time before your trip, You have a travel catalog that works (albeit without your familiar develop presets) and your photos can be imported from that travel catalog when you return and have access to your familiar develop presets.

It is good that you are testing these travel plans out in a dry run before the trip rather than to get out in the wild and find an important part of your workflow missing.

I am having a bit of a problem with the presets panel on a new catalog that I created. IOW I am not able to resolve your problem but seem to be finding issues of my own. I’ll work on this to try to understand whether this is a new bug or if something got broken in v11.

Two things to consider.
1. I stopped using Develop presets a long time ago since the import process did much to replace my need for develop presets .
2. Since I started using Lightroom as a front end, I no longer need to use a travel catalog since everything imported into Lightroom (cloudy) is synced to my master Classic Catalog at home.

I will continue to work on this transfer of develop presets problem as I think it needs to be workable and under stood, I used it for many years when I used a laptop instead of an iPadPro.

But if we do run out of time before your trip, You have a travel catalog that works (albeit without your familiar develop presets) and your photos can be imported from that travel catalog when you return and have access to your familiar develop presets.

It is good that you are testing these travel plans out in a dry run before the trip rather than to get out in the wild and find an important part of your workflow missing.

Thank you for trying to figure this out for me! There is a set of print templates that I would like to have with me. Interesting that 10 of them show up on my laptop print module, but there are more than 75 on the desktop print module! (If there is a way that I could add those manually, I would be willing to do that.) Also, none of the LR included print templates show up in the laptop print module. Something is not right!

Two things to consider.

Thank you for trying to figure this out for me! There is a set of print templates that I would like to have with me. Interesting that 10 of them show up on my laptop print module, but there are more than 75 on the desktop print module! (If there is a way that I could add those manually, I would be willing to do that.) Also, none of the LR included print templates show up in the laptop print module. Something is not right!

While we're at it, my SmugMug Publish Service doesn't show up in the Develop Module either. Isn't that supposed to be there as well, or do I have that wrong?

Thanks for this Greg, but I am leaving on a big trip in a couple of days and don't want to change up my work flow right now.
That makes sense. Have a great and safe trip and have fun shooting.

Two things to consider.

While we're at it, my SmugMug Publish Service doesn't show up in the Develop Module either. Isn't that supposed to be there as well, or do I have that wrong?
Clee, can I assume that you haven't been able to figure out my travel catalog problem yet? I leave tomorrow late afternoon, and while I will still be able to access LR with my new images, I'm so disappointed that I can't use any presets or see my collections or publish service. I thought I had prepared well for this trip and done everything that I needed to do! :confused: This doesn't have anything to do with the file paths being different on the two computers, right?

I am away from my desktop for a few days. (Vacation) And have not had an opportunity to work on the issue. Sorry that i won’t be able to come up with any thing before your trip.

I am away from my desktop for a few days. (Vacation) And have not had an opportunity to work on the issue. Sorry that i won’t be able to come up with any thing before your trip.

ENJOY YOUR VACATION!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back