• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Import from Aperture : 0% after 16 hours.

jmv

Lightroom Version
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
Below is the dialogue 16 hours after launching the File > Plug-In Extras-> Import from Aperture Library
Untitled.png

I can see several Collections and Collection Set under LR "From Aperture" collection set.
The "From Aperture" collection set seems to map the Aperture hierarchy.
However, almost all collections are empty (0 Photos)

All I see is only 8 photos under All Photographs. See snapshot below.
Untitled 2.png

When I check under Activity Monitor I can see the Lightroom Classic process at 100%.
I am importing by reference.

Q : How do I know if LR is actually busy or stuck?
Q : If LR is still busy why the # of photos is not growing under All Photographs? They were there in the first few minutes of the start of the import.
Q : If LR is stuck, how do I find out why?

Any suggestions on getting this going is very much appreciated.

Using Lightroom Classic Version 10.0 on MacOs 10.14.6 (Mojave).

Thanks for your help.
JM

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
The Aperture/iPhoto Importer plugin is poorly implemented, and it will take days or weeks to import Aperture libraries of tens of thousands of photos or larger (if it completes at all). Try splitting your Aperture library into smaller libraries of no more than 5K photos each.

A few people have reported much better results with the Avalanche program ($59). Alternatively, consider the manual approach:

jmv

The Aperture/iPhoto Importer plugin is poorly implemented, and it will take days or weeks to import Aperture libraries of tens of thousands of photos or larger (if it completes at all). Try splitting your Aperture library into smaller libraries of no more than 5K photos each.

A few people have reported much better results with the Avalanche program ($59). Alternatively, consider the manual approach:
Hi John,

I am considering all the options you are proposing.

If I proceed with splitting my AP Library which contains 50K+ photos that equates to roughly 10+- libraries.
Moving forward with the LR import my original questions still remains unanswered:

Q : How do I know if LR is actually busy or stuck?
Q : If LR is still busy why the # of photos is not growing under All Photographs? They were there in the first few minutes of the start of the import.
Q : If LR is stuck, how do I find out why?

JM

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
When I last used the plugin about a year I ago, there was a LibraryImporter.log file in the Documents folder that could give more clues:

The importer plugin uses an inappropriate "n-squared" algorithm, which means the time taken is proportional to the square of the number of photos in the library. In your case, the plugin could be still "evaluating" the library of 50K photos and would eventually proceed to importing them, or it could be stuck on one or more "poison" photos that it's choking on (both problems have occurred to others). Splitting up the library and using the log file might help you make progress. But beware that many others (including me) have wasted hours and days on this.

jmv

When I last used the plugin about a year I ago, there was a LibraryImporter.log file in the Documents folder that could give more clues:

The importer plugin uses an inappropriate "n-squared" algorithm, which means the time taken is proportional to the square of the number of photos in the library. In your case, the plugin could be still "evaluating" the library of 50K photos and would eventually proceed to importing them, or it could be stuck on one or more "poison" photos that it's choking on (both problems have occurred to others). Splitting up the library and using the log file might help you make progress. But beware that many others (including me) have wasted hours and days on this.
John, thanks for your input. I am tempted to try Avalanche.
JM