• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • The December 2019 Lightroom updates are now available. Lightroom Classic is just bug fixes and new cameras in this release, but it fixes a whole load of macOS Catalina issues.
    Lightroom (cloud-based service) has export options and direct import on iOS and the ability to contribute photos to someone else's account from the desktop/mobile apps.
    The Missing FAQ and Edit Like a Pro eBooks are already updated for the changes.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom 6 questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom 6 - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. When you upgrade to subscription, there's also a Lightroom Classic version available.

Import folder naming duplication with NAS

John Gooday

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
This has been driving me mad for a while...

My images are stored on a NAS. New images are either imported from a memory card reader (copied to NAS) , or via drag-and-drop to lightroom (add to catalogue withought moving/copying) of new folders that I place in the same NAS folder structure.

I end up with the folders showing up in similarly named places in lightroom differing only in capitalisation, rather than using a single common path name, e.g.:
\\QNAP2/Public and \\qnap2/Public
Obviously, in windows explorer files all show as being in the same directories. Unfortunately, in Lightroom I have to look in lots of 'directories' to find them.

Two questions:
How do I stop this happening and get all the imports to follow a single path name convention?

And... any thoughts on what might be the simplest way to clear up the current mess?

My set-up, in case it's important, is:
Windows 10, QNAP NAS, lightroom CC, catalogue stored on workstation hard drive (not NAS), 100,000 + images stored on NAS.

Any help appreciated!

Regards,

Johnb

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Search this forum for "Capitals". I have seen the best answers by Jim Wilde-
Wrong path every time when importing

And similar threads at Adobe Communities:
Duplicate Foto Folder in Lightroom 6.8 |Adobe Community

The fix involves combining the two errant names [QNAP2 and qnap2] in the Lightroom folder panel, renaming the folder (or NAS in your case) in Windows File Explorer , then back in Lightroom: re-linking (update) all folders to the 'new' folder name.
I do not like to be more specific as I do not have expertise with this procedure. Keep the thread going if you need more help.

Last edited by a moderator:

John Gooday

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
That looks exactly like what I want! Thanks very much I-See-Light.