• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Import failed. Video corrupted or unrecognizable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deb27

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
I copied the photos and videos from my Nexus 5X phone to my PC and then did an import into lightroom using the Add option. All of the JPG images imported but all of the videos failed with the following message:

"The video file appears to be corrupted or unrecognizable. It has no audio or video streams. (6)
G:\pictures\2016\2016-Utah-phone\2016-05\VID_20160507_155153.mp4..."​

The videos aren't corrupted. They work just fine on both the phone and my Win 10 PC.

Running Lightroom CC 2015.5.1 Release on Windows 10 Pro on a brand new PC which I just bought a week ago.
I did notice in the LR Import window, when i selected the videos for import, it shows "Preview unavailable for this file" in the icon for the file. Is there something I need to do to Lightroom so that it recognizes this file format?

could this be related to not having quicktime installed ? Lightroom can't import GoPro 2k 60fps mp4 video? |Adobe Community

I wondered that too. However the Quicktime web page says "QuickTime 7 is for use with Windows Vista or Windows 7. If installed on other versions of Windows, it may not offer full functionality." Therefore they don't recommend it for windows 10. If Lightroom requires it in order to recognize video formats, it sure would be nice if Adobe would include that information in the Lightroom help pages however they mention nothing. All I could find on supported formats was:
Supported file formats in Lightroom

QT on windows has leaks in it, for my video files i dont seem to need it (i removed it). It could be that the MP4 format I dont know if they have a solution or just advised to remove QT. You could just download QT, disconnect from internet temporarily, install and try it.

Thanks for the link, Victoria! You solved the problem. I went ahead and installed QuickTime. Note - if you choose the Custom option during the installation you can choose what to install and what not to install. I chose to install just the QuickTime Essentials and not the QuickTime Player. Rebooted the PC (because this is Windows after all) and opened Lightroom. Now it sees, understands and imports the videos.
So, anyone else having this problem with mp4 videos (especially from a Nexus 5X) will likely need to install QuickTime if they want to import videos.

This does beg the question, however. Is there any way to installed Codecs for Lightroom without having to install QT?

I don't think so, but I would hope that Adobe will create native code for those particular cameras in due course - most are already running on their own code.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back