• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Import exported images from a Facebook download.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gegjr

Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
LrC desktop version 10.3
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I have an issue and question.
I exported some images from Facebook to my Google Drive using Facebook's new export function. After export I checked the images ℹ (information) and they all contained the correct capture date. However, when I then imported the images to my lrC catalog using the copy option in lrC the capture date was changed to the date imported to lrC. Is that behavior normal?
Just to explore and as a test subsequent exported images from FB were moved from Google Drive to my OneDrive. Once again before importing to lrC catalog I reviewed the ℹ and the original capture date was correct but when imported to lrC using copy the capture date was changed to the date imported. Why does lrC behave like that? Is there anyway to fix it other than manually changing the metadata capture date after the files are imported? Will lrC only read capture dates from camera files? Does FB not use standard EXIF standards? If that's the case I will only use export from FB if for some reason I really need the image and forgot to import to LrC first.

Most likely FB does indeed not use standard EXIF.

To add to @Johan Elzenga observation, you need to look at the metadata in the image download from FB before it's loaded into LrC to see what the issue is. The " ℹ (information)" may be pulling information from an internal catalog rather than the photo.

To add to @Johan Elzenga observation, you need to look at the metadata in the image download from FB before it's loaded into LrC to see what the issue is. The " ℹ (information)" may be pulling information from an internal catalog rather than the photo.
I did look at the metadate information prior to export from Facebook and looked again after the file arrived at its destination, first to Google Drive, and then from Google Drive to OneDrive (because Facebook for some reason doesn't allow direct export to OneDrive, probably because Facebook doesn't yet have a reciprocal agreement with Microsoft I presume). I didn't say that in my original post because if I looked at metadata information in Google Drive and then again in OneDrive ,I would have to presume the information was there on Facebook, otherwise how would the information (correct capture date) have been correct in Google Drive and again in OneDrive, right?

As a rule, FB strip metadata from photos uploaded to their server. They call it "optimising".....

As a rule, FB strip metadata from photos uploaded to their server. They call it "optimising".....
That may have been true in the early days of Facebook. I think it depends on where you upload to in Facebook. I almost never upload directly from my camera to my page. Most of my uploads to Facebook are first to my Facebook folder. Also, I know that Facebook allows you to include GPS data and you can set Facebook to include what you want to include.

Also, I know that Facebook allows you to include GPS data and you can set Facebook to include what you want to include.
Which makes FB photos a huge privacy and safety risk. Even vacation photos.

Which makes FB photos a huge privacy and safety risk. Even vacation photos.
Yep, I agree and don't typically include location information. Most times I don't share photos in real-time. But it's a moot point in terms of this conversation. I'm not asking about the relative safety of what Facebook allows. I'm talking about why LrC changes to capture date for images downloaded from Facebook. Google doesn't change the date and neither does OneDrive but when imported to LrC for some reason the capture date changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back