• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Import duplicated into same folder - original import was 3956 files. Unintentional import double & duplicated the files to 7912 .

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimBee

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic 11.4.1
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
The original import worked just fine but a month later I had set up a new import from the same sd card and instead of importing to the new folder it somehow reverted to the original import and doubled the number of photos in that folder. Does anyone have any ideas about how I might sort and delete the second import or do I just have to delete the whole folder and start over?

Slowly. Step by step.

Assuming you're right that you've doubled the number in that folder, identify a pair of duplicates. What filenames do they have? Are the names different? If not, the duplicates may be in a subfolder which you can delete. If they are different, you might use the Library Filter's Text view to search for "-2" in filenames, for example.

And review the Import dialog. Have you disabled the duplicate prevention? In other words, this problem should not have happened and you should review the dialog carefully each time you import.

John:
Thank you so much for your input which has helped me in this situation no end. As you suggested the duplicates appear to be somewhere other than the main folder which means my working folder remains on it's own and is intact and I will be able to complete the project I was working on which as you might imagine is a huge relief for me. I have tried to find where the other files are located without success so far. Truly that is the least of my problem and somewhere down the line I will take the time to find them (they've got to be there somewhere). In the meantime thank you so much for your help it has probably saved me substantial hours already invested in a couple of different projects.
Jim

Last edited:
I recommend carefully reviewing the Import dialog every single time one does an import. Run your eye around the settings at the top - make sure you haven't chosen Copy when you want to Add or Move - and that you haven't unchecked Don't Import Suspect Duplicates. Then go down the right side checking that you've not accidentally applied a preset or metadata template, and that the photos are going to the correct Destination. I'm not immune to problems like you describe, but it's not because of LR, it's because I haven't steered it correctly.

"I have tried to find where the other files are located without success so far."

Again, Jim. go slowly and step by step, don't rush and risk more damage or confusion. Find one pair of duplicates, and maybe add them to the Quick Collection (select them in the grid, Ctrl Shift B to empty the QC, B to add the pair to the QC, Ctrl B to go to the QC). Now right click one of them choose Go To Folder in Library, and you'll see where it's located. Do the same to the other, and if necessary repeat the process with other pairs so that you identify what may have happened and how you might distinguish the duplicates - eg filenames, folder locations.

Also, are you sure the duplicates aren't virtual copies?

John

In Library / Grid view....... Attribute Option. There is the ability to select or ignore Virtual copies... with a simple click.
1663849608113.png

It is a pity there is no obvious means to select on date imported.

John:
More excellent advice. I am participating in the Lightroom Virtual Summit coming up shortly and one of their sessions is on how to do imports. I am hoping to have a much greater understanding of something I should have taken pains to understand properly years ago. I also like your solution for finding the folders by using collections and I know how to do what you suggest having used that feature for other reasons.

Bob
Thank you for your suggestions as well. I intend to find out how to set up a preset which makes absolute sense because my imports are largely the same every time.

Cheers guys
This has been great!
Jim

I disagree s;ightly with Bob there,. Even if you create an Import Preset, it's still important to carefully review each setting in the Import Dialog every single time you do an import.

But not reading the Import Dialog properly is just one of a few possible sources of the problem. Have we completely ruled out virtual copies? It's easy to check. In other words, focus on investigating pairs of duplicates, and finding out for certain what's really going on.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back