• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Import dialogue doesn't open

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkk251

Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic 9.2
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
I've watched several youtube videos on importing into Lightroom (Classic). Supposedly if you start Lightroom, then connect your SD card, the Import Dialogue should open. I have done this according to what I have learned, and the Import Dialogue never opens. Any suggestions on what I can try?

Thanks
JIm

Welcome to the forum. Look in the (Lightroom) Preferences menu and see if this is checked - Show import dialog when a memory card is detected. If not check it and try again.

--Ken

Just click on the 'Import' button or choose 'File - Import Photos and Video'.

I have encountered both on Windows and Mac occasions where the camera card was not recognized by the OS. And Lightroom would not be alerted. This has happened to me for years. Although now my iMac and Classic seem to be behaving like they should

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just click on the 'Import' button or choose 'File - Import Photos and Video'.

Thanks Johan. My understanding is that it should open automatically when you insert the SD card (I use a reader, and plug it into a USB port). I know I can open it in other ways, but asked becasue I wonder what is wrong that I do not have this functionality which I would like to take advantage of.

Thanks.

On my new computer, Dropbox kept insisting on opening cards when mounted. Things got better when I disabled that. But basically if the operating system sees the card mounted, then Lightroom should. Lightroom is already running when you insert the card, correct?

My understanding is that it should open automatically when you insert the SD card (I use a reader, and plug it into a USB port). I know I can open it in other ways, but asked becasue I wonder what is wrong that I do not have this functionality which I would like to take advantage of.
My explanation is that it is not necessarily Lightroom Classic's fault. The difference is only a few mouse clicks and you are there. Chasing down the source is more effort that the work around. What dod you do to keep the Photos app from importing your camera card? In Image Capture, what application is set to run when a camera card is inserted?

On my new computer, Dropbox kept insisting on opening cards when mounted. Things got better when I disabled that. But basically if the operating system sees the card mounted, then Lightroom should. Lightroom is already running when you insert the card, correct?
Yes it is running when I insert the card. I made sure of that.

My explanation is that it is not necessarily Lightroom Classic's fault. The difference is only a few mouse clicks and you are there. Chasing down the source is more effort that the work around. What dod you do to keep the Photos app from importing your camera card? In Image Capture, what application is set to run when a camera card is inserted?
I didn't know about image capture into Johan talked about it above. I will look into it but I don't know at present. Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back