Import Dialog

Status
Not open for further replies.

TerryM

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
6.x
Am I going crazy or did I miss something. After upgrading to LR 2, when I insert card into reader the import dialog is not poping up. As I recall there was some software running in the tray that accomplished this. Do I have a problem or has it changed? According to help menu it is supposed to work and the check box is there in edit>preferences>import to enable.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

If you have "show import dialog when a memory card is detected" checked and that is not happening then I would say you have a problem/bug.

RipIt;1985' said:
If you have "show import dialog when a memory card is detected" checked and that is not happening then I would say you have a problem/bug.

David, are you saying it does in fact still work in 2.'
Lee Jay is indicating folks did not like this feature and it is not included in 2.'

This has to be a PC/Mac issue.

I am saying on a Mac it most certainly does work as intended. Lee Jay states, "Okay, if LR isn't running and I insert a card, I get the autorun window allowing me to run LR and import. I don't get the import window if LR is running already."

If Lightroom is running on my Mac I will get the import dialog. If Lightroom is not running I get nothing UNLESS I tell the system via Image Capture.app to launch Lightroom whenever a camera (or card) is connected. Then when lightroom launches I will get the import dialog.

It would seem that on the windows side you have the opportunity to set the system to launch Lightroom but then nothing happens. So its a 2 step process rather than a 1 step if I choose process. Although Lee's post suggests that it is done in one step via the systems "auto run"

Hello out there!!! Is their a PC user with LR2 that is able to get the import dialog to open upon inserting a camera card into the system?

Not so far. And where is this "show import dialog when a memory card is detected" check box. I haven't found it yet so I can't really say that function doesn't work. I just stumbled across this post so I am going to see if have the auto import dialog set up right. I did not see it under file>auto import so I am not sure where to look though. Help?

John, edit>preferences.import panel. Here you will find the option " show import dialog when a memory card is detected"
In the earlier version, if checked, and LR running, the import panel opened. I suspect it no longer works but have not been able to confirm.

The auto import is something I have not used. It is located at file>auto import.

It is not a big deal to insert a card, then go to file>"import photos from device"

I just was not sure if I have a bug or the software has a bug.

Sorry i just got back to the forum. I checked and I do have that box checked but LR is not opening the import dialog box. I have had to go to file> "import photos from device" every time to download. Sure sounds like I bug in the program or we are both missing something. Is there anyone else out there that has checked this out?
Check y'all early in the AM. It's past my bedtime since I'll be up before the sun

Sorry i just got back to the forum. I checked and I do have that box checked but LR is not opening the import dialog box.

Initally, I had LR 1.4 and LR 2 both installed. I found that I had the same trouble with LR2 until I disabled the LR 1.4 auto-downloader (icon in taskbar tray). LR now starts and produces the import dialog when I insert a card. I eventually uninstalled LR 1.4.

MSA

The functionality did change in Lightroom 2.

If you still have Lightroom 1.4.1 installed go into the Preferences > Import and uncheck the Show Import dialog when memory card detected box. This will prevent 1.4.1 from launching.

On Windows, open LR 2 and go to its preferences > import and check the show Import dialog box. Close LR2.

- Insert a memory card
- The What do you want Windows to do dialog box should appear and list "Import photos using Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 2.'. Select that and check the Always do the selected action box. Click OK.

LR2 should then launch and (if you checked the "show" box in the preferences) the Import dialog should then appear.

On a Mac, follow the same steps to stop 1.4.1 from launching, then set the preferences in LR2 to show import dialog when memory card is detected. Then close LR2.

Go to Applications folder and launch Image Capture. Go to Preferences and for "When a camera is connected, open" choose LR2. Close Image Capture.

Insert card and LR2 should launch followed by the import dialog.

MSA, you said LR starts and import dialog is opened when you insert a card. That will happen if you have auto import enabled.
What happens if LR is already running and you insert a card. Does the import dialog open then?

Assuming of course that you have edit>preferences>import>"show import dialog when a memory card is detected"

I have all the LR versions (except LR 2) uninstalled and mine still did not show import dialog.

I tried this and it seed to work:
Go to File> Auto Import , Be sure your card reader is plug in. In the Auto Import dialog box make your card reader the watched folder and also select file on your hard drive you want the pictures moved to. fill in any other of the boxes setting you want. Click ok.
Now when you insert card into your card reader the Window's dialog box will open asking how you want to import your photos- select LR 2 and then the the import dialog box will pop. I should add that when you first insert the card the adobe photo down loader selection box appears hit cancel and then select LR 2 in thew windows box box.
I wish I knew how to add LR 2 the the download selection box. Right now it only offers PE 5 and the online album thing. It used to have the LR 1.4 option( before I uninstalled 1.4
This is kinda of worked around so if anybody knows how to add LR 2 to the down load option box it would be great .
I've got to go. The US v Brazil Women Football(called soccer in the US) match is on . The gold medal game.Wow! Marta just made a beautiful move on two US defenders to get the shot in the box. She didn't get the goal buy what a beautiful thing to watch(if you are a fan or not )

Unfortunately the above method didn't work today. I closed and started windows once and that my be why but I am not sure. It actually worked earlier in the day. Anyhow that is not a very good or valid solution.
I tried the open import dialog box under the preference import tab and still no luck. I have actually had that setting checked since I started using LR 2.
I know there must be a way to put LR 2 in the Adobe down loader. I just can't figure out how to do it. LR 1.4.1 and CS 3( i think) used to be in there. Must be a preference menu for the downloader but where?

Yeah I already figured that out on upon reading Victoria's book a little bit ago but that doesn't help solve the problem. I can't seem to find the solution in the book but I am kinda new to the book, the forum and LR 2 problems. I don't seem to remember problems of this nature in the previous lightrooms. Do you have any ideas?

I guess some of this is a waste of time because it is not that hard to go to "import from devise " but I have gotten "hooked" on this problem.

Also how would I get Victoria in on this thread?

John, as far as I can tell LR2 was revised to use the Windows 'Autoplay' feature to enable autostarting from media insertion.

I'm having trouble following your terminology, but it seems as if you're seeing the 'Autoplay' browser, but that LR2 is not appearing as an option?

If that's the case, here's how to fix the autoplay ...

http://lifehacker.com/371677/add-custom-options-to-the-windows-autoplay-dialog

Thnaks Brad,
LR2 was already in the Autoplay browser but the Adobe Photo Downloader would pop up first. The downloader only gave Photo Elements 5 and the new online Photo Album Stater or something but no LR 2 .

I deleted the downloader icon about a week ago t but the downloader itself was still there and interfered with the Autoplay browser. i.e. sometimes the Autoplay did not appear at all after canceling the downloader dialog box.

Last night I restarted my computer and now every thing is fine.
What I can't understand is why Adobe did not put LR 2 in their downloader like the previous LR programs were. It sure confused things and they don't really include any instructions on how to get things to work properly.

Please excuse the fact that I am not very articulate or knowledgeable about the technical side of computers or software. To me it is just a tool. I have a Masters in Aerospace Engineering that I got using a slide rule. My first years at NASA we still used slide rules but did have a computer that filed a whole building. I quit the engineering fields just about the time computers were becoming an accessible useful technology but we still programed in Fortran. At my age I really don't want to learn another technical discipline so i use the computer as a tool.

Thnaks for the article on Autoplay buy if I had to go through the programs in that article that I would rather have used just the "import from device" under the file menu.
Actually I have a hard time being articulate in just writing. I used to write short stories but I am having some slight kind of early dementia or something. Photography kind of keeps me going. I have learned a great deal and still do but the photography is about all the learning I can cram into a day.
Sorry about giving my life story but sometimes I feel that I need to express that so folks won't think I am complete idiot.

TerryM;2'115 said:
MSA, you said LR starts and import dialog is opened when you insert a card. That will happen if you have auto import enabled.
What happens if LR is already running and you insert a card. Does the import dialog open then?

Assuming of course that you have edit>preferences>import>"show import dialog when a memory card is detected"

Hi Terry,

Apologies for the delayed response. Yes, on my system, LR2 will produce the import dialog when the program is open. That is, it presents a 'souce dialog', form which I choose the pertinent card reader, resulting in the Import Dialog.

Hello out there!!! Is their a PC user with LR2 that is able to get the import dialog to open upon inserting a camera card into the system?

Yeah, I'm here. Stuck a card in the reader and the Windoze Autoplay dialog popped up with "download Photos using Adobe Lightroom 2.'" (or something like that) popped up. The "Always perform this action..." box was checked, I clicked OK and I was in LR with the Import dialog box.

Tried it again and went straight to LR. No APD icon in the tray, I uninstalled it long ago.

BUT: if LR is open and I insert a card, no joy. LR sits there, have to click Import to get the photos in. Then you get the option for the camera or to "choose files".

Hello all. First time posting but I too am having difficulty. I did get the Auto Import to work from a watched folder but in Windows Vista (64) I cannot get Lightroom 2 to show up in the Auto Play menu pop-up. Only the Import photos using windows is available

Hi 3dphoto, welcome to the forum from me too!

You can add to AutoPlay on XP using TweakUI, but I'm not sure of how you could do it on Vista. I'm guessing it'd be a registry edit, but you could try a reinstall/repair and see if that'll write the AutoPlay for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back