Import Destination Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

kitjv

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
When importing photos from a memory card, in the Destination Panel I have the "Into Subfolder" checkbox ticked & in the "Organize" pop-up menu "By Date" is selected. Finally, the correct date is displayed in the "Date Format" pop-up menu (i.e. 2016Dec20). So far everything seems fine.

However, in the filepath directly below in the Destination Panel, the destination that is checked is the incorrect date (i.e. 2016Dec19) & this date is NOT in the 2016 subfolder.

Could someone kindly sort this out for me? Thank you so much!

Kit

Can you post a screenshot?

You haven't filled in a name for the subfolder, that's why the dated folder is created at the higher level. So either select the '2016' folder and uncheck 'Into subfolder', or fill in '2016' as the name of the subfolder.

Last edited:
Geez, that was a total oversight on my part. Yes, that explains why the new folder was created at a higher level.

However, why would the date on the created folder be incorrect (i.e. 2016Dec19, rather than 2016Dec20)?

I shot the images today (Dec. 20) & the date/time setting in the camera is correct -- thus, my confusion.

Time zone is correct as well. Maybe this was just one of those mysterious anomalies because when I re-imported the images into LR the date was correct.

So it appears the problem is solved. Thank you for your help, Johan.

Kit

I shot the images today (Dec. 20) & the date/time setting in the camera is correct -- thus, my confusion.

Is it possible that you imported via a direct camera attachment? There's a very old bug whereby LR adds the local time-zone offset to the capture time when creating the dated folder name. Oregon would be GMT-8, so if you shot an image before 0800 this morning, then imported from an attached camera, LR will add -8 to the capture time (making it before midnight on the 19th) when creating the dated folder.

If that's what's happened, it's a bug that's unlikely to ever be fixed, which makes it another good reason for using a card reader for imports.

Jim: I used a card reader. It certainly must be an anomaly since I have never noticed an incorrect date before.

OK, it was just a thought. Out of interest, what time of day were the pictures taken?

Mmm..about 10:00 a.m. here on the west coast of the U.S. If I sound a bit indecisive its because I ended up deleting the images from both the camera as well as from the computer's hard drive.

OK, no worries....I was just wanting to make sure that an earlier, similar bug, hadn't returned. That earlier one actually affected the capture time of the images, which wasn't so good. If the images were taken after 0800 (and your computer is set to PST) then it seems unlikely. Worth keeping an eye on things though, to see if it happens again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back