• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Images suddenly display intense colors in LR3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lightroom Experience
Beginner
All my images in LR3 (thumbnails and full size images) suddenly are displayed with intense colors. As if I cranked up saturation to the max for everything. Images appear normal in other programs and Windows is displaying colors properly.

I use a Lenovo W510 laptop, Windows 7. The laptop is equipped with built-in Huey Pro monitor calibration with I ran but it made no difference.

I attached a screenshot (I think/hope).

I appreciate your help. -John

Attachments

• strange LR colors.jpg
    strange LR colors.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 155
Suddenly? You mean they were ok before? Does this affect all photos or just DNG files? What about JPEGs?

It's affecting all image types. And I have looked more carefully and think that it's affecting Windows in general. It's odd because it seems to select certain colors and make them very intense while ignoring others. It really pumps up blue and red. Anyway, I'm now thinking that this must be a problem with the Huey Pro monitor calibration device or software. Or maybe something wrong with the computer.

It's odd because it seems to select certain colors and make them very intense while ignoring others.... Or maybe something wrong with the computer.
It is quite possible that the ribbon cable connecting the scree/cover with the keyboard/CPU is either loose or damaged. The cable connects through the hinge and therefore gets a lot of action at that point. I've had this occur with laptops that I have owned. Take it in to your local HW service center and have them test it.

It's affecting all image types.  And I have looked more carefully and think that it's affecting Windows in general.  It's odd because it seems to select certain colors and make them very intense while ignoring others. It really pumps up blue and red.  Anyway, I'm now thinking that this must be a problem with the Huey Pro monitor calibration device or software.  Or maybe something wrong with the computer.

I found the problem and the problem is me.

I figured that there must be something wrong with the computer, so I called Lenovo. While the guy was troubleshooting, he said something about the word "sensor." Sensor!!?? I had placed a blue post-it note over the sensor! I guess I won't do that again!

Insta.... thanks for getting back. Yet another way to screw up color management, as if there weren't enough already. :)

We'll try to preserve that one in the forum's genetic memory.....

What kind of sensor is that? Is it the built-in webcam? And how would it affect your display? Do you have any idea?

Beat

Brilliant, thank you. You've not only solved your own problem, but you really made me laugh too, so a good day's work!

What kind of sensor is that? Is it the built-in webcam? And how would it affect your display? Do you have any idea? Beat
Beat, presumably it's the sensor for the built-in Huey Pro calibration device.

Beat,

From what I read, the calibration sensor is on the body of the laptop, and you run the calibration with the screen closed.

Hal

Beat, presumably it's the sensor for the built-in Huey Pro calibration device.

Oh, I see, I didn't even know this existed in Thinkpad models, but I've read up on it now. Something new to learn every day here :)

Thanks, Jim & Hal
Beat

Sensor

Yes, the sensor is built right into the palm rest of the laptop. It's nearly flush and very unobtrusive, so it's easy to forget it's there. Especially when it's covered with a Post-It note. LOL I don't calibrate my monitor with anything but the Huey. It reminds me every two weeks to recalibrate. You simply press a button on the screen, close the cover and wait for about a minute or two. Then it beeps thee times and you're ready to go. I do wonder if this calibrates to the same standards that "calibrate your monitor" folks insist on. (I hope so!) -John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back