• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Develop module Images show "The file could not be found"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael58

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Operating System: macOS Sierra

Lightroom Version: 6.0
(Please go to Help menu > System Info to double check the exact version number)

Question or Description of Problem: I imported a series of photos two months ago, moved them to a collection, and worked on them in Develop without problems. I can still view the collection in Library, and I am sure the original photos are still on my desktop. However, when I go back and try to open them in Develop I get the message "The file could not be found". If I try to export them I get the message "Unable to export source file(s) are offline or missing". What may have happened, and how can I get these photos back in play?

You moved the photos to a different location, or renamed the folder. Or you deleted the images completely. Lightroom does not store the images inside its catalog, but only a reference to them. So shile the reference still exist (that's shy Lightroom can show them), the original location is unknown and so Lightroom cannot edit them or export them. If you know where the images are, you can 'reconnect' them in the following way (assuming that the entire folder is missing): right-click on the folder in the folder panel and choose 'Find Missing Folder'. In the dialog that follows, navigate to the folder and select it.

Same problem here, 9022 photographs are missing, somewhere in my 2011 iMac ...I was considering the new classic LR CC desktop version but have to resolves the missing files first.

Same problem here, 9022 photographs are missing, somewhere in my 2011 iMac ...I was considering the new classic LR CC desktop version but have to resolves the missing files first.

Not necessarily, but it's probably better for your peace of mind.

Years ago I learned in LR training that images should not be moved except through the LR interface. That's an easy rule to remember and I do not forget it. (Or are there less than obvious aspects to this?) I also never remove folders or images except through the LR interface. The big variables I see in Locate and recover: Sometimes a whole raft of images now CAN be found and they turn up _with_ the one that needed locating. Great. And sometimes this happens very gradually. Good. Sometimes now - more and more - just that one image is found using the Locate tool on the grid images. No rhyme or reason it seems for this success or lack of success. At any given time I think I have hundreds that cannot be Located. Thoughts anyone?

Thanks in advance - - - David

David, Hi, I believe I know Lr to an intermediate or advanced level but glitches, like "missing" photos, still happens to me.
Two days ago I renamed a folder of files (NEF+JPG) and immediately the JPGs showed as "Missing". Lr had renamed the JPGs in their folders but NOT in the catalog library. A reset of the preferences file fixed the problem (I had to re-do the import).
I have also experienced a sensitive mouse that would drag and drop folders to sub-folders unknown until a search found the files again.
Also, something as simple as renaming a folder with Finder/FileExplorer (eg. MyPhotos > My Photos ) will result in all images within the folder to go "missing".
Lr training should always stress to- NEVER use Finder/FileExplorer to do ANYTHING whatsoever to your files (including, Re-naming, Moving, Deleting). There are some exceptions for advanced users.
Thanks be to all the keen forum gurus and readers that can help with answers:)
So if you have a problem - post a question.
Rob

Hello and thanks, Rob. Well, re-importing has not been something that has ever occurred to me as a way to deal with "cannot locate" . So there are glitches in the LR function that renames JPGs? Renaming names of files in the folders but not in the LR catalogs?! Astounding. I'll try re-importing but here is the wrinkle: I believe that some of the "cannot locate" issues occur months after ingestion, perhaps even years later. And it seems like this issue does not effect files at the time of ingestion.

It does seem like these "locate" problems just come and go over time. Is it ever that way for you?

David

I almost never have any problems now- having learned my lessons early on in my experiences with Lightroom, and the help from these forums.
My re-naming problem has never occurred again after a reset of my Preferences file, and I have just completed a total move to a totally new desktop Windows machine without problems.

Firstly- Re-importing is NEVER an answer to these type of 'missing file' problems, so NOT advised.
(My situation happened immediately after the first import so I did not lose any editing, etc, by my re-import of the affected files)
Lightroom can tell you which files and folders it believes to be "Missing" in the Catalog, but it is really up to YOU to find those files by a search with Finder, then you can re-link the catalog references to the files 'true' location.

Lightroom thinks my photos are missing—how do I fix it? | The Lightroom Queen

Operating System: macOS Sierra

Lightroom Version: 6.0
(Please go to Help menu > System Info to double check the exact version number)

Question or Description of Problem: I imported a series of photos two months ago, moved them to a collection, and worked on them in Develop without problems. I can still view the collection in Library, and I am sure the original photos are still on my desktop. However, when I go back and try to open them in Develop I get the message "The file could not be found". If I try to export them I get the message "Unable to export source file(s) are offline or missing". What may have happened, and how can I get these photos back in play?

bdhjah,
You simply quoted the original poster. What is your question?

If you are having the same problem, have you read the rest of the thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back