• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Images darken in develop module after upgrade to LR 6.4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kolja Vogel

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Hi all

this is my first post in this forum, so please be patient with me. I have searched for this problem and did not find an answer.

Here's my problem:
- After upgrading to LR 6.4, all images in my library appear darker when entering the develop module. It's not camera specific. The problem did not go away when upgrading on to LR 6.5.
- When I export images, they look right, regardless of whether I export to JPEG or TIFF.
- When I export for editing to PSE 12, the images look right.
- When I re-import a TIFF from PSE 12 into LR 6.5, the TIFF looks in right in all other modules. But once I enter the develop module, the image goes dark.
- The histogram does not change when entering the develop module.

So to summarise, it appears to be an issue with the way LR displays the image in develop mode. However, editing tonality is no longer possible. The usual fixes (re-starting LR, re-booting, re-setting preferences) did not work.

Here's my system info:

Lightroom version: 6.5 [ 1067055 ]
License: Perpetual
Operating system: Mac OS 10
Version: 10.11 [3]
Application architecture: x64
Logical processor count: 8
Processor speed: 2,3 GHz
Built-in memory: 16.384,0 MB
Real memory available to Lightroom: 16.384,0 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 895,6 MB (5,4%)
Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 1.358,6 MB
Memory cache size: 354,7 MB
Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 8
Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX
Displays: 1) 1680x1050

Graphics Processor Info:
Check OpenGL support: Failed
Vendor: Intel Inc.
Version: 4.1 INTEL-10.12.13
Renderer: Intel HD Graphics 4000 OpenGL Engine
LanguageVersion: 4.10
Can someone please help me?

Thanks,
Kolja

I should add, the images look "right" in all other modules and views, including library, fullscreen, print, slide-show. It's only in the develop module that they appear quite a bit darker.

Here's two screenshots (I have included the histogram to show that the image has perfectly fine tonality, up to some specular highlights on the right shoulder of the histogram).

Here's the image in the library module:

Screen Shot 2016-03-21 at 20.55.32.JPG

And here's the same image in the develop module:

Screen Shot 2016-03-21 at 20.56.03.JPG

Kolja

Thank you, Victoria. My problem does not seem to match the bug description, though. It's not related to moving sliders, the images are just displayed darker in develop mode than in all other modes. This is very annoying because I cannot edit images at all.

Kolja

Have you tried turning off the GPU in Preferences > Performance, if it's enabled?

Hi Johan

thanks for trying to help me! I I am really quite desperate. Lightroom is no longer useable for me.

The histogram does not change between the two modules (note that the histograms are scaled a bit differently because of different screen layout between the two modes). The histogram is pretty healthy, with specular highlights up unto the very right of the range. The image is not underexposed.

Here's two screenshots with histogram on both:

Screen Shot 2016-03-25 at 11.28.55.JPG

Screen Shot 2016-03-25 at 11.29.22.JPG

Kolja

edit: the first screenshot is library, the second develop module.

Strange indeed. I can think of two possibilities. First, the preview of the develop module is different from the preview in the library module, so perhaps something goes wrong there. In the Lightroom preferences, go to 'File handling'. Almost at the bottom of the dialog, you see the options for the Camera Raw Cache Settings. That's where the Develop module preview is stored. Press 'Purge Cache' and see if that does anything.

The other possibility is corruption of your monitor profile. Go to the MacOS system settings, monitors, and select a different monitor profile. It doesn't have to be a correct monitor profile (you could use sRGB), it's just to see if that eliminates the different views. If it does, you have to create a new monitor profile.

Last edited:
Ha! Your second hint (monitor profile) did the trick! I selected a profile from an older calibration and now the problem is fixed.

Thank you so much Johan!

And thanks to the forum for beeing patient and bearing with me.

Kolja

Update: I re-profiled using Spyder 5 and dispCalGUI / Argyll V1.6.3 and the same problem occurred! So I created a second profile using the DataColor software supplied with Spyder 5. The problem disappeared with this profile. Something very strange is going on.

I thought this might be of interest.

Kolja

Could it be that the profile generated with the 3th party software is either icc 2 or icc 4 and Lightroom or the OS needs the other? In that case it might be just a setting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back