• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Images and video on same card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zanthe

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
I've tried searching the forums but can't find an answer to my specific question...

Here it is...

I'm shooting still and video on the same card. When I import the images into Lightroom I don't want the video clips imported too. There maybe be a couple of thousand images and maybe 40-50 mall video clips. Is there way to tell Lightroom before import to import only the still images and ignore the video clips? I know I can do that in FCPX (in reverse) by selecting "Video Only" when importing but I don't see anything like that in Lightroom.

I'm probably missing something obvious but looking for an answer.

Thanks.

Nothing as simple as being able to say "Import only stills" or "Don't import Video"....but you can sort the import by media type (Sort: on the toolbar), which will lump all the videos together. Then select the first one, shift-click on the last one, then uncheck one to uncheck them all, start the Import.

Nothing as simple as being able to say "Import only stills" or "Don't import Video"....but you can sort the import by media type (Sort: on the toolbar), which will lump all the videos together. Then select the first one, shift-click on the last one, then uncheck one to uncheck them all, start the Import.
Yeah I had figured out how to do it that way but thought maybe somebody knew of magic button like they have in FCPX.

The work around in Lightroom isn't the end of the world though. Thanks for the help!

Why not just import them? The idea of LR's Import is to get files safely off the cards, get a quick second copy, and let you reuse the card.

Why not just import them? The idea of LR's Import is to get files safely off the cards, get a quick second copy, and let you reuse the card.
Because I want them imported in to FCPX where they belong. Why waste a bunch off space importing them into lLightroom?

Anyway @Jim Wilde has the answer that will work pretty easily.

How is that. The images get imported into my Pictures folder right?
Not necessarily. It can copy images on import, but it can also only add images to the catalog if these images (or videos in this case) have already been copied to your hard disk. Remember that Lightroom is a database. All it needs to know is where the videos are. I don't think that FCPX is any different in this respect. Premiere Pro certainly is not.

Not necessarily. It can copy images on import, but it can also only add images to the catalog if these images (or videos in this case) have already been copied to your hard disk. Remember that Lightroom is a database. All it needs to know is where the videos are. I don't think that FCPX is any different in this respect. Premiere Pro certainly is not.
Thanks for the clarification!

How is that. The images get imported into my Pictures folder right?

The only way videos would use less space is if you did not import them at all. LR copies images from the camera card to the disk drive as does any other method.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The only way videos would use less space is if you did not import them at all. LR copies images from the camera card to the disk drive as does any other method.

This is why I was looking for an easy way not to import videos on import to Lightroom. I'll just use the sorting method and uncheck the videos upon import and my problem is solved. Thankfully Lightroom has that sorting feature or it'd be a nightmare.

Whether you import in a single step with LR or import some files with LR and some files with another app makes no difference in space terms. What it does do is import in a single step, which is easier and more reliable than doing it in two steps.

Whether you import in a single step with LR or import some files with LR and some files with another app makes no difference in space terms. What it does do is import in a single step, which is easier and more reliable than doing it in two steps.

Actually importing in 2 Lightroom steps is pretty easy too and allows you to have a separate destination for the videos

It's easy but pretty dumb to fragment a single task into two and increase the chance of missing stuff. So it's best to get import done properly, then move stuff if you need to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back