• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Develop module Image inside the Detail panel does not look correct

Status
Not open for further replies.

murali

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Classic: 8.3
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
LR Version: 8.3 Classic
OS Windows 10 with all latest updates
Computer: Microsoft Surface Pro
Camera: Nikon D800E

In the Develop Module, when the image is zoomed to fit the screen, the portion of the image that is shown in the image window in the Detail panel looks very fuzzy (see screenshot 1) even after pushing the sharpening amount to 100. But when I zoom the image to 1:1, after about 5 seconds or so, the image inside the Detail panel then shows the correct image (see screenshot 2). I turned on and off the "Use of Graphics Processor" under Preferences -> Performance but it did not change the behavior. Am I doing anything wrong?

Additional information: when the image zoom level is at Fit, moving the Sharpening amount slider from 0 to 150 shows no change in the portion of the image in the Detail panel. When the zoom level is changed to 1:1, I can see the change in sharpness when the sharpening amount slider is moved. Now, if I change image zoom level back to Fit, the sharpening image slider impact is visible in the Detail panel.

This is not unexpected behavior. Every time you open a raw image Lightroom has to render the raw data into RGB data to display it on your screen. This takes time and as cameras have produced higher and higher resolution images it takes longer.

To help improve the perceived response the engineers implemented an stepped processing that essentially processes a lower resolution version quickly to give the user a quick over all impression of the edits. While at the same time running the full resolution image. This accounts for the inital blurry version followed shortly by the finished sharp version.

There is the ACR Cache that also helps by storing some of the processing steps. Lightroom attempts to stage some of the processing for images if you happen to be working through them in sequence. I do not know what exactly is stored in the cache but it does help with minimizing the delays.

Sharpening is one of the more time consuming global adjustments and as a consequence will likely produce more noticeable delays. Also the more local adjustments ( spot removal, brushes, gradient filters, etc.) you apply to an image the longer it takes Lightroom to render the full resolution RGB image. One thing that can help when adjusting sharpening and noise reduction is to view the image at 1:2 instead of 1:1. This seems to give enough detail to see how the setting is effecting the image and make feedback much faster.

Regarding the GPU. My understanding is that at this point the GPU is mostly used speed up the display for 4K and 5K screens. So as you saw there is not any noticeable difference in the Develop module with it on or off. This could change in the future.

-louie

Louie: You have presented an insightful explanation that I find very valuable. What I am puzzled is that when i open the detail panel and move the slider nothing happens EVER. I wouldnt be bothered by a few seconds delay. But as soon as I change the zoom level to 1:1, after a short delay slider seems to work just fine at all zoom levels. i.e Slider doesnt seem to have any impact UNTIL i change to zoom level to 1:1. Then even after i switch back to Fit, slider impact is visible. This never occurred until I upgraded to 8.3.

In the Develop Module, when the image is zoomed to fit the screen, the portion of the image that is shown in the image window in the Detail panel looks very fuzzy (see screenshot 1) even after pushing the sharpening amount to 100. But when I zoom the image to 1:1, after about 5 seconds or so, the image inside the Detail panel then shows the correct image (see screenshot 2). I turned on and off the "Use of Graphics Processor" under Preferences -> Performance but it did not change the behavior. Am I doing anything wrong?
That feels like a bug. The Detail panel should always show an accurate 1:1 view, regardless of the main window view.

I can't reproduce it on my Mac, but here’s instructions on how to report it to Adobe so they can check into it further: How do I send a bug report or feature request to Adobe? | The Lightroom Queen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back