• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

iMac vs iMac Pro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

deekay2308

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic version: 8.3.1
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
$ issues aside, and assuming the same RAM and hard drive, which would be better for processor intensive tasks like editing with brush adjustments etc etc?

- an iMac with a 3.6 GHz 8-core i9 processor and Radeon Pro Vega 48 8GB graphics, or
- an iMac Pro with 3.2 GHz 8-core Xeon processor and Radeon Pro Vega 64 16GB graphics?

Thanks...

The GPU doesn't do that much in Lightroom - mainly based on cpu performance. The iMac processor is quicker than the iMac Pro processor. Get the iMac Pro if doing a lot of video editing, otherwise normal iMac is good. There are lots of YouTube vids on this - Max Yuryev & Max Tech are good channels for this

The GPU doesn't do that much in Lightroom - mainly based on cpu performance. The iMac processor is quicker than the iMac Pro processor. Get the iMac Pro if doing a lot of video editing, otherwise normal iMac is good. There are lots of YouTube vids on this - Max Yuryev & Max Tech are good channels for this
That info is outdated. The GPU is doing more and more in Lightroom. The Develop module is using the GPU extensively, and some things in the Library module are also passed on to the GPU. Try Enhance Details, for example... It is safe to assume that the GPU is going to play an even bigger role in future versions of Lightroom.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/lightroom-gpu-faq.html
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/a...C-2019-Enhanced-Details-GPU-Performance-1366/

Suggest watching this video: .

Make sure you aren't buying a Mac Pro with the old 2013 design, which was not updated for several years, and has too few and the wrong kind of ports. I bought one in 2015, paid a lot extra for more memory and multiple cores, and it is very disappointing. Mine has a 3.5GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5, 16 GB of 1866 MHz DDR3 memory, AMD FirePro D500 3 GB graphics processor which sounds like all the firepower you would need, but it is a very poor performer, especially for the price which was about 3 times what a PC would have cost. I think I have found a better design for a PC that will perform vastly better for much less, a custom design.

Since it sounds like you are looking for a really high quality system, for the monitor, I would highly recommend the NEC PA302W. It has been wonderful, and is what many of the professional grade workshops use in their classrooms.

Above Johan mentioned that GPU is doing more in Lr. Today Adobe released Lr Classic 8.4 with GPU support. So now there might be a stronger reason to purchase the iMac with the Vega 64 instead of the 580X GPU....even if you do not do extensive video work. I think will all needs to see reports and videos to just how much faster performance we get with Lr 8.4 do preview generation, editing...etc. But Lr 8.4 could be part of a decision to going for a more advanced GPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back