• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

iMac performance for LR work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom75

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version Number
CC Classic
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.13 High Sierra
Hi All,

just wanted to get some opinions regarding performance of different iMac models.

Would you think that a 27 inch iMac with a 3,5 GHz 4-core i5-prosessor would have a signifficant performance difference compared to a 27 inch imac with a 4,2 GHz 4-core i7-prosessor when working with LR and pictures in general?

And what are the opinions about RAM, 16GB, 32 or 64, will the size of that have big or small impact on LR performance or rather not?

Regards,
Thomas

There will be a performance difference from: the speed of the CPU, which GPU is installed with how much video memory, how much main memory, and the type of drive you are using for boot. If ordering a new machine. purchase the fastest i7 CPU and GPU you can afford. As For main memory, get the iMac with only 8GB from Apple. Then put in at least 16GB of additional memory yourself. Suggest that the internal drive is a 500GB SSD. You want fast drive for boot/OS/apps/caches. Your data, such as documents and photos, would be on external drives connected via TB3 or USB 3. Also your Time Machine drive would be a separate large external drive.

Hi and thanks a lot for your answer.

I have basically a setup as you suggest but I thought the 256GB SSD will be enough for me.... my idea was also not to go for the fusion drive anymore but for the SSD option

I am replacing now my late 2012 iMac which was the first thin desing model with 3TB fusion drive.

Since I have now switched to an Akitio Thunder 3
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B077J2SVPD/ref=pe_3044161_185740101_TE_itemwith two 4TB drives where I am using one as Time machine backup disc and one for picture storage

so I guess I will then go for the i7 with 4,2 GHz, was just wondering if the difference from 3,5 to 4,2 will be a noticable step?

Thnaks a lot for the suggestion to put in memory myself :)

Regards,
Tom

.... or do you think an internal 256GB ssd will not be enough to the operating system plus some apps like Lightroom, photoshop etc.?

My old iMac crashed completely last weekend so I cannot check how much space I will need approximately for these things.

Have also another question, no matter if I take a 256 or 500 GB ssd, how do I set up a new iMac from a time machine backup which had a 3TB fusion drive if the new one has only 256 or 500 GB since this will not be enough for the full backup?

Are there any options during setup to transfer only parts of the backup or to split somewhat what is going where since there are quite some things that should be transferred to the 4 TB disc in the thunder quad x

Thanks a lot and regards,
Tom

I would go with a 512GB SSD for boot/OS/apps/caches. You want to make sure that all apps have plenty of cache space should they need it. The cost difference between 256 and 512 should not be very much.

Are there any options during setup to transfer only parts of the backup or to split somewhat what is going where since there are quite some things that should be transferred to the 4 TB disc in the thunder quad x
I'm not certain but I believe that the TimeMachine restore will detect the smaller drive and ask you which parts you want to restore to the new smaller drive. The Time Machine restore will not impact the transfer negatively if you try and it is not capable..

Hi Clee,

if it works as you say then it would be perfect.

I thought when I am starting up the new imac I can immediately connect the Thunderbold 3 external drive so maybe there is a way to transfer my pictures folder somehow manually to that drive and the rest shound then be no problem and fit on th einternal SSD.

the new one is already in progress and will ship soon so next week I should have it :)

Really looking forward to the Retina 5K display

Regards,
Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back