• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

iMac 5k graphics card - 395 or 395x?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Greetings,

I am looking to purchase an iMac 5k for Lightroom, photo scanning, and some video editing. Can anyone speak with experience as to an advantage in the 4GB vram in the m395x vs. the 2GB vram in the m395 graphics card?

Thanks for any input.

Welcome to the forum. I upgraded to a 27" 5K iMac (late 2015 model) a few months ago. It came with the m390 chipset and 2GB VRAM. It also has 32GB of RAM. I am happy with the improvement over my older 16GB 27" iMac. I shoot a 36mp Nikon and the processor gets a work out with all of those pixels. I can't see where 4GB of VRAM would help that much

Remember the GPU is not going to be used for computations except for some intensive develop processes It does not provide any benefit for an app like LR that simply throws up still images on the screen. More VRAM could be of benefit in video games and FMV. But these have nothing to do with Los functionality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back