• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

I'm Confused! (in-camera crop ratios)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kitjv

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
v9.4
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
I shot an image with a full-sensor Canon 6D with a native aspect ratio of 3:2. I have never change that ratio in-camera. With that said, I am confused why the 3:2 aspect ratio of the image in LR is cropped from the "original" or "as shot". Am I missing something obvious? Thank you so much.

The native Aspect ratio for many camera is ~ 3:2. Original will show an uncropped image that may or may not be exactly 3:2. Since some cameras allow for in camera cropping. The "As Shot" setting honors that in camera cropping. Most cameras shooting RAW record every pixel inside and outside of the Crop window. In Lightroom, "Original" allows you to see the uncropped RAW image even if an in camera crop was set.

Sorry if I'm a bit dense here. But that is where I am confused. Since the camera has a native aspect ratio of 3:2 & no other in-camera ratio was selected, shouldn't the "As Shot" setting be the same as the 3:2 aspect ratio?

Most likely it is just another name for the same thing. Do you see any actual copping, or is it just the ‘as shot’ you are confused about?

I uploaded the image from the camera into LR. When I activate the Crop Tool, the aspect is listed as "As Shot". This makes obvious sense, right. If I select "2:3/4:6" as the aspect ratio, the image is now cropped. That's what is confusing. It seems that the ratio should be the same.

Sorry if I'm a bit dense here. But that is where I am confused. Since the camera has a native aspect ratio of 3:2 & no other in-camera ratio was selected, shouldn't the "As Shot" setting be the same as the 3:2 aspect ratio?
"As Shot" reads the crop dimensions in those fields IF Present. Original all ways displays ALL of the pixels on the sensor. If no in camera crop is applied then both setting should produce the same result. Camera sensors ofter are not exactly 3:2. In Canon Cameras the usable photo sites correspond to exactly 3:2 "Original" and "As Shot" should produce the same image.

According to the specs, the Canon 6D produces images of 3648 x 2432 pixels. That is exactly 3:2, so you would indeed not expect any visible cropping when the crop tool is set to 2:3. What are the exact dimensions when you do choose 3:2?

Yes, Cletus, I agree. The image sizes should be the same.

Johan: The dimensions of the 3:2 crop = 4119 X 2746 which is 3:2. The As Shot dimensions are 4881 X 2746 which is less than 3:2.

Yes, Cletus, I agree. The image sizes should be the same.

Johan: The dimensions of the 3:2 crop = 4119 X 2746 which is 3:2. The As Shot dimensions are 4881 X 2746 which is less than 3:2.
These "As Shot" dimensions are 16:9 The Max dimensions of the 6D are 5472X3648 which is 3:2. You are cropping somewhere in your camera settings or your would get 5472X3648 as original AND "As Shot". Or you are not using a 6D

Cletus: Here is what I know for sure. (1) I am not cropping in the camera & (2) I am using a 6D.
Here is what I do not know. For some unexplainable reason, when I rechecked the dimensions of the As Shot & 3:2 aspect ratios, they were texactly he SAME (5472 X 3648) as they should be. In the interim, I did not close out of LR & relaunch. Software glitch? Bad karma? If it were 5 p.m. in the evening, I would have a cocktail!! :)

(1) I am not cropping in the camera & (2) I am using a 6D.
If you are getting anything other than 5472 X 3648 then both of those can't be true. If you are getting 5472X3648, this is what you should expect to see for both "As Shot" and "Original"

From your last post, It sounds like you were not reporting correctly when you reported " The dimensions of the 3:2 crop = 4119 X 2746 which is 3:2. The As Shot dimensions are 4881 X 2746 which is less than 3:2."

So sorry for the confusion. I really cannot see that I reported the info incorrectly. But there is a piece of the puzzle that slipped my mind. After working on the image in LR, I did a brief edit in Photoshop (healing brush only). However, I did not crop the image either in LR or PS. When I checked the original RAW image from the camera, the Original aspect ratio & the 3:2 ratio were the same 5472 X 3648. It was the edited image in PS that showed a 3:2 ratio as being 4119 X 2746. That suggests to me that something inadvertently was changed in PS. I don't want to belabor this discussion. Maybe I just need to be more attentive when using an external editor.

Can we back up at tad? The native pixel dimensions of the d6 are 5472 x 3648 whereas the pixel dimensions of the 6d Mark II are 6240 x 4160. So I'm assuming you have the original and not the Mark II.

As you "original" import into LR shows the correct pixel dimensions for the camera, that rules out any odd camera settings. As both the "as shot" and the "3:2" aspect rations in LR show that same thing, that is as one would expect as the As Shot is 3:2.

So, the reduction of pixels occurred somewhere on the round trip to and back from Photoshop or more likely in photoshop. I am mot a PS guru, but when you were done in PS, did you SAVE the image or SAVE AS the image or just close the window (which would have done a SAVE. If you did a SAVE, then you must have done something in PS to reduce the number of pixels while keeping the same aspect ratio. If you did a Save As, it could also be choices you made in the Save As dialog in PS. In PS it may not even have been something you did but some setting or preference someplace.

Califdan: I have the original 6D. When finished with PS, I clicked Save. I agree that the reduction in the number of pixels likely occurred in PS. I will also assume that it was "operator error" on my part. Nevertheless, I will be more diligent in the future.

Thank you, everyone, for your help. Much appreciated!

Check your Camera Raw settings in Photoshop. You won’t see the dialog because it is suppressed, but when you send a raw image from Lightroom to Photoshop, then Photoshop will use Camera Raw (with the Lightroom settings) to convert the image to RGB. That means that what you see may be caused by Camera Raw preference settings.

Screen Shot 2020-09-21 at 6.05.33 AM.png

Johan: Here is a screenshot of the Camera Raw Preferences in PS. Under "Master: Adobe Default", should I change this to "Camera Settings"?

Here is a screenshot of the Camera Raw Preferences in PS. Under "Master: Adobe Default", should I change this to "Camera Settings"?
No, that is only the default profile, but the profile is something that will be sent by Lightroom. Check in the Workflow tab that 'Resize to Fit' is not enabled, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back