• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Identifying files that are\are not in my catalog

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwaddo

Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic version: 9.2 [ 202001311240-2d026470 ]
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
In theory all the images that are in my catalog are in subfolders of a single folder on my disk.

Is there a way of identifying which images are or are not in my catalog? Having identified them I want to decide whether they should be in my catalog or perhaps delete them because they are files that should not be in the structure, for example exports.

I have thought about moving folders into a new top-level folder but testing found that LR moves all the images in a folder and not just the ones known to the catalog.

To put this question another way. Is there a way to move all the images known to LR to a new folder structure leaving behind the images not known to the catalog? Once I have identified all the images that are not in my catalog I can then decide what to do with them.

Ideas I have had but not yet progressed
  • I have thought about using a Folder Export plug-in to export a very small jpeg to a new structure I could then use tools outside of LR to compare the two structures and create a list of differences (I am not sure this is even possible).
  • Renaming every image in the catalog by adding a identifiable prefix. This would allow me to identify all the images on disk but I could not find a way in LR to remove the prefix once I'd finished.
  • I know I can synchronise a folder but this is on a folder by folder basis and whilst it allows me the option to import them it does not allow me to delete them.
A plug-in would be ideal but I cannot find one.

Any help or ideas appreciated.

• I know I can synchronise a folder but this is on a folder by folder basis and whilst it allows me the option to import them it does not allow me to delete them.
I would do this, but on my parent (top-level) folder (so I'd only need to do one synchronise), and import them all using Add (so not creating copies of them). Once in Lightroom I'd add a unique keyword and/or put them into a new collection (can do both of that in the actual import dialog), so that I can easily identify them later if needed. Then I can review them to decide if I want to keep them in the catalog, or delete them. Those identified to be deleted I would delete from within Lightroom using the "Delete from Disk" option so that they are permanently removed from the hard drive(s).

Caution: make sure you check the synchronise dialog carefully, as the synchronise command can remove "missing" files from the catalog, which you may not want to happen. Make sure, in that case, that you uncheck that option.

@Jim Wilde Excellent, I did not expect Syncronise to work though the subfolders. This will work for me, I am so excited to be able to sort this out.

Would you expect this to work for folders within the folder structure that LR does not already know about? I would guess not, I will create a test to see what it does.

Thank you very much for your help.

Regards, Ian.

Last edited:
Synchronise invokes the Import process, so make sure that you select the option to "Show Import Dialog"....then if needed you will have the "Include Sub-folders" check-box in the left hand panel of the import screen.

Would you expect this to work for folders within the folder structure that LR does not already know about? I would guess not, I will create a test to see what it does.
The answer is yes, this makes me even more excited that I have a way forward. Thank you for your help.

@Jim Wilde I just wanted to come back and say thank you, this has worked perfectly and I can now sort through them.

I chose to add a Keyword and add them to a Collection as this will allow me to always find the images through the Collection in cases where I have removed the keyword in error.

Regards, Ian.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back