• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Icons in the filmstrip

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Little

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
LR Classic version 8.3.1
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I routinely apply a custom preset to my images on import. As a result, the thumbnails in the filmstrip show an icon indicating that the image has been edited. That's logical for sure. But it would be useful to have a separate icon indicating whether or not I have applied additional editing steps. Is this possible? Or do I need to have a way, like colors, to indicate that? I use the colors for a different purpose (for the moment) and since only one color can be chosen for a given image, that particular choice won't work.

I routinely apply a custom preset to my images on import. As a result, the thumbnails in the filmstrip show an icon indicating that the image has been edited. That's logical for sure. But it would be useful to have a separate icon indicating whether or not I have applied additional editing steps. Is this possible? Or do I need to have a way, like colors, to indicate that? I use the colors for a different purpose (for the moment) and since only one color can be chosen for a given image, that particular choice won't work.
I would like something like that but it does not exist. Part of my workflow is making sure that every image has been edited beyond the basic Import Preset beeper it gets marked complete. I'd settle for a Smart Collection filter that could do this.
Lightroom's Auto Editing has gotten better that many of my Z7 photos need little more than a Crop after import. I'd like a way to detect that a crop has been added to the editing process.

In my workflow, once I take some editing steps (beyond any initial preset) I make photos with one star, just so I can quickly filter ones that I need to still look at. I subsequently then use additional stars for the better photos.

I'd like a way to detect that a crop has been added to the editing process.
Cletus, can't you use the smart collection criteria Develop>Cropped>Is True/False for that?

Cletus, can't you use the smart collection criteria Develop>Cropped>Is True/False for that?
Yes, I had forgotten about that. In my initial Workflow Smart Collections setup I was interested in a completed development process (more than just crop) Now since LR does such a great job on my Z7 images with the initial import, I can get by with just a check for a cropped image before I mark an image complete.

In my workflow, once I take some editing steps (beyond any initial preset) I make photos with one star, just so I can quickly filter ones that I need to still look at. I subsequently then use additional stars for the better photos.
I do something similar but with Green Labels before I mark the image as Complete or Published:

red = "In a Published Collection",
yellow = "Complete: Not In a Published Collection",
green = "Needs Further Review",
blue = "Work In Progress",
purple = "To Be Worked",

Follow-up: Today I posted the query at the top of this page to the Adobe Feedback Forum, as described here How do I send a bug report or feature request to Adobe? | The Lightroom Queen , and got the helpful response from user "Just Shot Me",

"Instead of using an import preset to apply some settings use the "Set Default Settings" option. "

Using Victoria's ever-helpful book, I then learned that to do this I simply make my desired adjustments in the Develop module, then go to Develop/Set Default Settings and ask it to set these settings as default. Then the image thumbnail doesn't show that it has been edited.

I am most likely missing something simple here. I just upgraded to LR Classic 9.2.1, and now when I follow the instructions given in the above entry, i.e. in the Develop module go to Develop/Set Default Settings, there isn't an option under the Develop tab to "Set Default Settings". I suppose it could be because the photo I chose has had those settings applied, but it doesn't make sense that this would affect what's shown under the menu (indeed, if I wanted to change the )settings it's not clear how I'd do that.

There's more blurb in the Changes appendix in your Classic Premium Members Area John, that'll walk you through the setup now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back