I need support for metadata in two languages

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Hi lightroom experts

I would appreciate support to create a bilingual website. I did quite some research but couldn’t find a satisfying solution in the internet.

I have a main catalog with apps. 12.000 photos. They contain my „personal“ metadata.

A second catalog contains about 500 selected jpeg photos (and more to come in the future) with „official“ english metadata. These will be imported to my new website with metadata recognition: file name, title, description (caption) and keywords. File name and title should be identical because of SEO.

A third catalog should contain german metadata which still need to be translated from english.

Since I need three sets of metadata, I will also have three identical sets of these photos with different metadata included (personal, english, german).

To have the metadata translated, I would like to export a sidecar file like xmp, have title, description and keywords translated, reimport it and then exchange the english file name through the title with a plug in.

However the sidecar-solution seems not to be possible. It is possible to export a metadata file from a jpeg with the plug in LR/Transporter, but I can‘t reimport it again.

I am kind of stuck.
How can I export the english jpeg metadata and reimport it after having it translated?
Isn’t there a better, more elegant solution for the multi language issue in our global world?

Thanks for your help.

Lightroom Experience
Power User
I am not sure I totally agree about putting the translate function on the website, but I don't think there is a better, more elegant solution for the multi language issue. On the other hand, it is not a new problem and I'm sure there will be elegant solutions out there.

Is someone else doing the translation? If not, why go outside Lightroom? My feeling is that I would approach it by using virtual copies rather than separate German and English catalogues.

The web site idea might work well if you or someone else are entering translations directly on the site. But then one has to ask how is the site being built? Is it by a web designer who can do HTML, or by someone who builds the site on a database?

John

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
It has been a few years since I had to code a web page. So things may have changed for the better. Typically, you let the user choose a language on the home page or current page and use this set variable to dictate which language CSS file is included with the HTML. The Language determined by the variable controls which text appears on menus and buttons. Things like keywords would be stored in a relational database with a index to the image file and a field for each language to display the appropriate text in the selected language for any text to be associated with the image. Once developed, Additional languages are easily added by including different CSS files and/or adding additional language fields to the image reference data base.

You need a language variable set in the HTML so that the user can choose which language you want to see on the page. Your only other choice is to hard code a static HTML page for each language and display the page that the user chooses. Most websites use some dynamic HTML generator to generate web pages as needed and on demand. For instance this forum uses the PHP generator.

I suppose it is possible that you could use the keyword field to include all languages and some how have the web page generator parse the keywords for the selected language and strip off the elements that were eliminated. For instance you could have a keyword pair (e.g. Deer\Reh) or a prefixed keyword (e.g. en-Deer, de-Reh) and let the web engine parse the keyword field.

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Thank you all for your answers.

I would prefer to have the different metadata safely written into the corresponding jpegs. That is why I am looking for a possibility to export the english metadata of jpegs have them translated by someone else and reimport them again into LR.

I have checked wordpress, photodeck and other website builders. Squarespace seems to be the best solution for my purpose. They all have their advantages and drawbacks.

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Your local JPEG method seems low tech, nothing wrong with that though. Maybe see my ListView plugin and this method for getting data into Lr?

On the other hand, the online methods allow you to avoid text files floating around, and your translator could enter translations from anywhere. WordPress has the advantage of ubiquity, and a while ago I did test a multi-language plug-in that worked well. Annoyingly I can't recall its name. Whatever you end up with, it's not going to be out-of-the-box or as elegant as you might want.

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Thank you John.
Yes, it is low tech. But high tech would mean spending more time learning html or spending more money for a professional. I will definitely look into online translation again. On the other hand I want it play it safe and have the metadata translations stored in my images.
Then I would be able to upload images to other websites and and choose the appropriate language. Or is this an error in reasoning?

Status
Not open for further replies.