• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

I need information about moving my LR catalog to an external drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidajd

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
6.x
Lightroom Version Number
LR 6 perpetual version
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I have found a tutorial on moving LR to an external drive as I work both on a desktop and notebook. I have PC's operating Windows 10. My main question is after I do this can I use the LR shortcut on both computers to open LR from the external hard drive or do I need to do something else in order to accomplish this. And if this can't be done would on just click on the LR folder on my external drive.

Thanx for any help.

David

Welcome to the forum. The short answer is Yes. Most people that need to run the same catalog on two computers put everything on a portable Disk Drive and share that drive between computers. With Windows you need to assign the Same drive letter to the EHD on both machines.
Here is a link to instructions Multi-Computer Use

Thank you very much. How do I assign the same drive letter to both machines.

Sorry I am not a real techy kind of person, obviously.

You assign a 'Drive Letter' to each Hard Drive, not the "machines".
You might use P: for the Drive with photos.
Extra photo drives you might assign as Q: R: S: etc.
These drives maintain their assigned drive letter regardless of which computer they are attached to.

A Googly search will find many links to "assign drive letter".
Easy to assign a Drive letter in Windows-10
1. Press the [Windows Key + X]
2. Click on 'Disk Management'
3. Select the Hard-drive you want to re-assign
4. Right-click on the Drive and choose [Change Drive letter......]
5. Enter the new Drive letter , and [OK]
ScreenShot456.jpg

capture-jpg.11751

Capture2.JPG

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG