• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom 6 questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom 6 - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. When you upgrade to subscription, there's also a Lightroom Classic version available.

I can't seem to revert back to my original image

WildSparrow

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Hi there :)

I am a newbie to Lightroom and am having a bit of trouble with reverting back to an original image. I'm not sure if I'm using the right terminology so I will explain it in more detail...

I imported a group of images into lightroom and saved them as a collection. I chose a few of my favourites by giving them a rating, I then edited them and exported just the rated selection of images so I could send them to the client as a sneak peak (I am a wedding photographer). This part all worked wonderfully!

When I went back into the collection at a later date to edit the rest of the photos I decided I wanted to reset the changes and re-edit the rated images I had previously exported to send to my client but I can't seem to revert back to the original raw files. The reset button in the develop module is greyed out. The history module doesn't go far enough back and I can't re-import the images as they are greyed out.

Is it something to do with the fact I exported the images?

Please help!

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Hi WildSparrow, welcome to the forum!

Exporting the images won't have affected anything. When you open the photo in the Develop module, does it have a message across the photos that says they're offline or missing? If that's not it, a screenshot might offer just the clue we need.

WildSparrow

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Thanks Victoria :)

There doesn't seem to be an issue with the images being offline or missing.
Here is my screenshot - I noticed that the names of the files I am having trouble with have -edit.tif at the end rather than .NEF (This is what makes me think they are the exported versions not the original files?)

Attachments

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic
Did you send the NEF to PSCC for further processing? The "-edit.tif" suggests that. The NEF is still in your catalog somewhere. The "_DSC0103.NEF was passed to PSCC with the LR adjustments and the "_DSC0103-edit.tif" was created with those adjustments and any PSCC edits that you made.

FWIW, the leading underscore in "_DSC0103.NEF indicates that you are shooting and using AdobeRGB as the in camera color profile. The NEF RAW file has no color profile. So, setting to AdobeRGB in camera only affects in camera created JPEGs. The silly leading underscore has always annoyed me with Nikon. So, I changed that as I always shot RAW with Nikon and a sRGB in camera is harmless.

WildSparrow

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Thanks Cletus!

Thanks for the tip about AdobeRGB I have changed to sRGB for my future photography that leading underscore is super annoying lol

Yes I did pass them to Photoshop I had forgotten about that - good to know that that's what the -edit.tif file means!

I can see when I try to add/import more images to my catalogue that there is a .NEF version and an -edit.tif version but of course they are both greyed out as Lightroom already "knows" them.
Is there any way I can open/view the .NEF version so I can then remove the -edit.tif version from the catalogue? (Turning off the ignore duplicates button doesn't seem to do anything)

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic
The "-edit.tif" appended to the file name is controlled by the File naming template selected on the "External Editor" tab of LR Preferences.
The reason the .NEF file is grayed out on import is that it is already in your catalog. You only need to import images one time. If you want to create an alternate edit of the NEF or to further edit the "-edit.tif" file in PSCC, You begin with the file that is already cataloged. In the case of the NEF file, If you want to create a new edit from the NEF, you can create a new edit history by invoking the Virtual Copy. This creates a new instance of the Edit History up to this point and any changes made to the virtual copy affects the Virtual copy of develop changes but not the Master copy of develop changes. If you want to reset the Virtual copy to 'as imported', you can use the Reset button in Develop to reset all of the added develop changes. The "-edit.tif" file contains your LR adjustments "baked-in" plus and PSCC adjustments. These PSCC adjustments can include layers if you did not "flatten" the image before saving in PSCC. If you use the Edit-In function on this "-edit.tif" file, you get new choices:
  • "Edit with LR changes" creates a new "-edit.tif" file from this adjusted "-edit.tif" file.
  • "Edit Original" opens this file again in PSCC. This is especially useful if you saved the file with layers

If you are new to LR but not to PS, then you will find less reason to go to PSCC. All of the ACR functionality is in LR as is HDR and Panorama. About the only process remaining that needs PSCC is working with layers.

WildSparrow

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Thank you so much for your time on this!

Unfortunately the virtual copy has the same issue as the -edit.tif version and I can't reset back to the original unedited .nef file in the develop module. The same goes for the PSCC file (I don't think I even made any adjustments in PSCC I was just checking what happened when I clicked that option).
At least I know to create virtual copies in the future when I create sneak peeks for clients so I never have to deal with this issue again!

As I am slowly learning how to use Lightroom effectively I am using Photoshop less and less - I have been using Photoshop for years so it is an easy go to comfort zone for me :)

Surely there must be some way to get back to the unedited .nef file?

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic
Surely there must be some way to get back to the unedited .nef file?
Open either the Master Copy or the Virtual Copy of the NEF in the Develop module. Both behave the same. At the bottom of the right panels is a {Reset} button. Press it. All of the develop sliders will be returned to their neutral positions, any crops will be removed and the image will appear as it did when first imported. In the History panel on the left side, you will see an entry "Reset Settings" indicating that the images has been reset. If you move your mouse over the entry just below, in the Navigator panel you will see the image change to the state it was in before you pressed {Reset}.
Here is a link to a short flash video: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2411826/LRHelp/2016-11-29_0828.swf