• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

I can keyword so fast LR can't handle it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron C

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
I'm using keyword sets and the keypad to keyword pictures in my library (only 22000 pictures)

Things are fine for a bit, but eventually it crawls to a halt. When I click to the next picture, the next picture displays just fine, but the keywords for that picture take two or three second to update. If I try to keyword the picture that is currently displayed during that time, then it applies the keywords to the previous picture. So either the previous picture gets keywords I don't intend it to have, or if there are overlapping keywords it will actually remove the keywords from the previous picture.

Optimizing the library doesn't help.

Restarting lightroom seems to help, but it only helps for about 200 pictures and then it starts messing up again.

I've tried using this on multiple computers, and my Lightroom library database is on an internal SSD so it shouldn't be a matter of buffer speeds.

I've unchecked the option where it writes the keywords directly to the file, so that lighroom should only be updating a basic database.

Why isn't this extremely basic function working? Has anyone else dealt with this problem?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Aaron C, welcome to the forum.

John W, sorry we missed your post.

What you describe is something that I sometime run into on my Mac system is an elongated keywording session, though still haven't figured out why. To be honest, I've learnt that the easiest thing to do is quickly restart Lightroom, which always clears things up for a while. I can't say if it would also happen on my Windows system, as I really only use that for test purposes, and I really haven't got the patience to do an intensive 30+ minutes 'test' keyword session.

Next time it happens I'll have a more thorough look at the system to see if I can figure out what's going on.

Jim,

Thanks for your reply. I suspect that there is no need to look at this on your Windows system, Aaron is experiencing the same problem on his Mac.

My similar problem is with LR6, I never noticed this problem with LR5. I would therefore not expect an upgrade to fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back