• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

How to view original raw file in an album after editing in Photoshop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

newmoon

Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I've just been trying editing a Photo in Photoshop and then saved it as a Tiff.
When back in LR the original raw file has disappeared.
I can see it in a different album that I had it in, but not the album I chose to edit iin Photoshop from.
At a guess this is because it is the same file name, even if one is raw and one Tiff.
I've tried adding from one album to the other and that hasn't worked.
How do I view both the raw and the TIFF please?
Thanks

Are you sure you are looking at the TIFF file, not the RAW file? There is a confirmed bug in Lightroom desktop where the TIFF is not saved back to Lightroom. https://community.adobe.com/t5/ligh...o-my-lightroom-desktop-catalog/idi-p/12593368
Hi Johan,

Thank you.

When I click Info it says the file name is _DSF2408-Edit.tif
Synced and Backed Up: Local - Tif, Cloud-Tif.

In the other album it's _DSF2408.RAF

After a Windows search I've located the local version in C:\Users\David\Appdata\Local\ Adobe\Lightroon CC\Data\Temporary Edits

I should have saved it as a .psd instead of a .tif as the .tif is 932MB compared with original raw of 82mb!

No, you must save it the way Photoshop wants to save it. Do not change the format because Lightroom expects a TIFF to be returned. Unlike "Edit in Photoshop' in Lightroom Classic, you cannot choose the format in Lightroom desktop.

No, you must save it the way Photoshop wants to save it. Do not change the format because Lightroom expects a TIFF to be returned. Unlike "Edit in Photoshop' in Lightroom Classic, you cannot choose the format in Lightroom desktop.
Johan, Thank you.
I noticed yesterday evening that both the raw and Tif versions showed in the same album on my iPad Lr. I didn't need that version of the Tif (it was a practice Ps edit) so deleted it on the Ipad and this morning the original raw file is back in the album on the desktop Lr Cloud.
For some reason (maybe a bug) the raw and Tif versions of the same file wouldn't show in the same album on desktop Lr Cloud but would on the iPad version.

Noted what you say about not changing the file type.

I also noticed that if I edit a file in Ps on iPad (not as a transfer from Lr but choosing the file from Creative Cloud Lr files), when I have edited it and save it to Photoshop Creative Cloud, there is no way to inport that file into Lr. Lr doesn't appear to have access to Ph Creative Cloud for some reason.

For the past year I have a rather cumbersome method of:
  1. Downloading photographs taken into LR CC Classic and deleting the ones I don't want.
  2. Then importing the remainder into Lr Cloud (not as Smart Previews but as full size images) and doing the editining in Lr Cloud.
I do this so I have a full local backup of everything I take, but the downside is these local files don't have any edit information. My annual contract is up for renewal in June and I'm seriously considering going back to a 20GB Photo Plan and just having Smart Previews in Lr Cloud so that edits are local and on Cloud. I label all edited photographs with four stars so I can find which photographs I've edited in Cloud easily, the problem is how to download those (with the edits) to Lr Classic without having to do it one file at a time.

Last edited:
I don’t use Lightroom desktop for editing, but I think the raw and tiff were probably stacked. Stacks are a bit different in Lightroom desktop compared to Lightroom Classic. Maybe that’s why you did not see both images.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back