• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

How to unsync images not in a collection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nIkedoni1a

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
LrC subscription up to date
Operating System
  1. macOS 11 Big Sur
  2. iOS
Have recently started using iphone as a primary camera. My workflow is as follows: Shoot images with pro camera app > Auto add from camera roll so synced to Lightroom cloud > Open the “Synced Photos “ subfolder in LrC on mac and delete unwanted images and pick others and create a collection > Sync the collection back to Lightroom cloud so i share only the best images on my phone.
This leaves me a folder under “Synced Photos” of my picked images and those images I want to save but didn’t make it into this collection. I would be content now to have this folder reside on my computer because it serves no purpose being synced.

My questions are these:
1. Does it really even matter i.e. am I overthinking this? I just know I’m using up cloud space with raw files because I shot them with the iphone and that I’ll probably never access them there since they will be buried in the “All Photos” folder in Lr on my phone.
2. Is there an easy way, for instance moving this folder of picks and unselected images out of “Synced Photos” to another location or renaming the folder so that it is now no longer synced?
3. If not I suppose i could just download all the images to another folder on my mac and import them into LrC as usual and then delete all of the images from “Synced Photos” but then my previously set up collection would no longer be linked. If I chose this work around I would wait and make a collection after the files were downloaded a second time.
4. Maybe I just pay Adobe for the extra cloud space and get on with my life. Is it okay to combine and rename the mm-dd folders under “Synced Photos” or even move them out of “Synced Photos “ completely and into my normal scheme of organizing folders.

Thanks for your help.

As I understand, you take photos with your phone and desire that only some remain synched to the cloud while others are maintained on your computer and some totally thrown away.

First of all, if you take photos with the camera app that came with the phone it goes into the phone's "camera roll". If you then tell LR on the phone to bring those images into Lr on the phone now you have two copies. One in the camera app camera roll and one in Lr's camera roll.

Here's what I'd try.

1) either use the Lr camera on the phone to take the photo (produces a DNG file) or continue using Apple's Camera and set Lr to automatcially import anything that shows up in the cameras' camera roll (this is what it seems you're already doing)

2) Those RAW photos will then sync up to the Adobe clourd and then down to LrC where the images will be placed in a folder and at the same time will be added to the "All Synced Photos" special collection in the Catalog Panel.

3) Create a collection for the ones you want to keep on the phone BUT DON'T SYNC IT TO THE CLOUD YET

4) Delete from disk any photos you just want to trash. Do this from the folder panel so it will physically delete the images from disk, and totally remove them form LrC and LR

5) Remove all the remaining images from that batch from the "All Synched photos" special collection. This will in turn remove them from the cloud and free up paid cloud storage.

6) Once the "remove" in step 5 finishes synching, set the collection you cerated in step 3 to sync with the cloud. This will put just those images back into the All Synched Photos special collection and will upload a "smart preview" porxy of the images to the cloud. These smart previews do not count against your storage limit, but can still be viewed, and edited in the cloud as if you had the RAW file on the phone and with a few exceptions (most notably keywords) edits done in the cloud will come back to Lrc and vice versa.

7) if desired in LrC you can move the images from the default folder used for new images entering LrC from the cloud to a different folder of your choice. It's easier to keep track of what's new if you move images to a different folder after you've don these steps. In this way if there are any photos in the default folder they must be new and should have this process done to them.

8) If desired, on your phone you can delete the Camera Roll version of the original images using the app that came with the phone.

Dan

If I understand your issue correctly, you have photos shot on a mobile device with SOME assigned to albums in the Adobe cloud.

All of the photos are using your Adobe cloud storage and ALL are synced to Lightroom Classic.

You have LrC collections corresponding the the albums and a special collection in the Catalog panel called All Synced Photographs.

In LrC you can select all of the images in all of the album/collections and then with these seated image you can display the images from the All synced photographs special collection. The selected images from the Album/Collections remain selected in the All Synced Photographs view. You can invert the selected image in that view to selected all of the synced images not in any album collection. At this point you can delete these image or add some of them to a different collection or simply isolate them.

Any images deleted from the All Synced Photographs collection in LrC will be deleted from the Adobe Cloud storage and any Lightroom Mobile devices running the Lightroom app.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My questions are these:
1. Does it really even matter i.e. am I overthinking this? I just know I’m using up cloud space with raw files because I shot them with the iphone and that I’ll probably never access them there since they will be buried in the “All Photos” folder in Lr on my phone.
2. Is there an easy way, for instance moving this folder of picks and unselected images out of “Synced Photos” to another location or renaming the folder so that it is now no longer synced?
3. If not I suppose i could just download all the images to another folder on my mac and import them into LrC as usual and then delete all of the images from “Synced Photos” but then my previously set up collection would no longer be linked. If I chose this work around I would wait and make a collection after the files were downloaded a second time.
4. Maybe I just pay Adobe for the extra cloud space and get on with my life. Is it okay to combine and rename the mm-dd folders under “Synced Photos” or even move them out of “Synced Photos “ completely and into my normal scheme of organizing folders.
Eventually #4 is what you may end up doing, which is good for Adobe of course.

What you can do instead is:
  1. In Collections panel, use the panel header's filter to show only synced collections.
  2. Cmd-click (Ctrl-click on WIndows) each of these collections, so they are all selected
  3. In Grid, select all photos - so now your selection consists of all photos synced through collections
  4. Click All Synced Photos
  5. Edit > Invert Selection - so now your selection consists of all synced photos not in a synced collection
  6. Delete - so now all synced photos is only photos synced through collections
I do this periodically, keeping the cloud space usage well below the limit.

Thank you all for the replies.
I do not see the "All Synced Photos" special collection in my Catalog Panel that you all make reference to and John I do not know how to "In Collections panel, use the panel header's filter to show only synced collections." Please advise me on how to do this. Thanks

Thank you all for the replies.
I do not see the "All Synced Photos" special collection in my Catalog Panel that you all make reference to and John I do not know how to "In Collections panel, use the panel header's filter to show only synced collections." Please advise me on how to do this. Thanks

829e3b03353ea22f4c2c18441c331d98.jpg

You should see this panel in Lightroom Classic It contains a reference to all photographs that have been synced from the Adobe Cloud.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cletus's arrow should be pointing to ASP.

"In Collections panel, use the panel header's filter to show only synced collections."

Go to the Collections panel and look at its header. There's a filter box with a magnifying glass which you can click and which then shows a menu. There's the same feature in Folders panel.

Okay, I found the all synced photographs under catalog panel (I was looking for it in the collections panel). I'm still not seeing the show only synced collections in the collection panel header. Screenshot shows what I do see. Thanks

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-23 at 9.05.21 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-23 at 9.05.21 AM.png
    829 KB · Views: 80
You seem to be looking at the Library Filter.

Look at the panel called Collections, and see the box in its header.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-05-23 at 16.58.58.png
    Screenshot 2022-05-23 at 16.58.58.png
    52.8 KB · Views: 83
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back