• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

How to undo Photo settings over written.

Status
Not open for further replies.

aj_saund

Lightroom Version Number
LR 6
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Changing & then reading Metadata from a PS elements file has reset the settings to the LR6 catolog file.
Can this be undone in LR?

What "settings" are you referencing? When you import a RBG image like a JPEG from PSE, Lightroom does not change develop settings unless you further edit in Lightroom. Lightroom never alters the original.
Because we support users from all versions of Lightroom, it is not clear which version of LR you are using. The Ancient standalone version of LR6 is still used by a few people. The current computer based version of that app is called Lightroom Classic and is at v12. There is a cloud based version of Lightroom that stored images and adjustments in the Adobe Cloud. it also is now at V6. Can you clarify please?

Thanks you the reply.

I am using the standalone LR 6.14 (think its called a perpetual licence).
By settings I am referring to the changes made to a JPEG in the develop module. Having made changes to metadata in PSE, then in LR6 going to Photo>read meta data from file. The changes recorded in History are replaced by a Reset Settings.
My question is have those settings been lost/over written or can they be retrieved?

I’m fairly certain that the “read metadata from file” only refers to EXIF and similar metadata and not any develop settings. Lightroom does not alter the original file and “read metadata from file” only copies the original file metadata to the LR6 catalog database replacing any corresponding metadata entries in the database with those found in the file header.
Your original PSE file remains as you changed it in PSE before importing into LR6. Lightroom is considered a non-destructive editor in that the original is not altered but adjustment are held in the data bas as instructions to be applied to the pixel data contained in the original imported file. To get an edited file. A derivative file needs to be created by applying the adjustments and writing out a new separate file. This process is called exporting.

Thanks for clarifying the LR version. Perpetual license and standalone version are one and the same. Adobe stopped supporting this perpetual license with v6.14.

I am using the standalone LR 6.14 (think its called a perpetual licence).
By settings I am referring to the changes made to a JPEG in the develop module. Having made changes to metadata in PSE, then in LR6 going to Photo>read meta data from file. The changes recorded in History are replaced by a Reset Settings.
My question is have those settings been lost/over written or can they be retrieved?

I just tried this out in Lightroom 12, there’s a fair chance it works the same as in version 6.

If you want to go back to the Develop settings from earlier, just pick an earlier History state. However, this cannot roll back the actual JPEG file, only the edit metadata, so the earlier History state will apply to the current version of the JPEG file. That means if the photo was visibly edited in Photoshop Elements and then saved there, it won’t look exactly the same as before in Lightroom Classic.

So the settings are there, but to get back the way it was before, you must also connect a backup of your photos and restore the version of the JPEG file from before it was edited in Photoshop Elements.

Thanks. I have restored the file from my previous backup.
However it is now missing the location data I added in the PSE organizer, after my initial import in LR6. The map module in LR6 no longer works.

Because the applications work in fundamentally different ways, it’s often necessary to think through multi-application edits and do them in a specific order. I have to deal with this between Lightroom Classic and regular Photoshop, and this is one way to think it through:

When the image is opened in the other application, check its metadata to make sure it made it that far. I don’t have Photoshop Elements, but in regular Photoshop that can be done by choosing File > File Info. If the metadata is missing, go back to Lightroom Classic and choose Metadata > Save Metadata to File to make sure the metadata is available to other applications. Then, when saving out of the other application, make sure it’s being written out in a way that includes metadata. For example, in regular Photoshop if you choose File > Save a Copy the metadata is included, but if Save for Web (Legacy) is used, it has to be set to include metadata or it will not be included.

It’s a lot of hoops to jump through, but metadata can be dropped at various points if some settings are not quite right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back