Library module How to 'Un-Sync' star ratings in Collections & originals

bsmale

Lightroom Version
Classic 10.2
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
Hi, Sorry if this has already been covered. I searched but couldn't find the answer.

When i am working in a Collection and change the star rating on an image, the star rating of the original also changes. Is there any way to un-link this function? I often use Collections to choose different images from a series, for different uses, and would like the star rating on the originals to remain unchanged.

Thanks,

Brian

Solution
"Is there any way to un-link this function?" - No.
The Image preview you see in a Collection can be any image you add from the Library. It is not another physical file. Collections are simply 'links' to the files in the Library. So a Star rating will always appear in both locations (Collection and Folder) for the same image preview.
One way to work-around this is to create Virtual Copies which can be star-rated and color labelled differently to the Master, and use the VC in a Collection rather than the Master. You will see both Master & VC in the Library Folder View.
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
"Is there any way to un-link this function?" - No.
The Image preview you see in a Collection can be any image you add from the Library. It is not another physical file. Collections are simply 'links' to the files in the Library. So a Star rating will always appear in both locations (Collection and Folder) for the same image preview.
One way to work-around this is to create Virtual Copies which can be star-rated and color labelled differently to the Master, and use the VC in a Collection rather than the Master. You will see both Master & VC in the Library Folder View.

Solution