• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

How to stop LR from putting imported photosen into a dated folder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsinsf

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic version: 7.5 [ 1186149 ]
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.13 High Sierra
When I import photos from an SD card in my card reader (using Copy photos to a new location and add to catalog) and choose to make a second copy to a folder in an external drive, LR creates a new subfolder in the external drive folder titled : "Imported on...X". Is there a way to stop it from creating this by-date subfolder?

When I import photos from an SD card in my card reader (using Copy photos to a new location and add to catalog) and choose to make a second copy to a folder in an external drive, LR creates a new subfolder in the external drive folder titled : "Imported on...X". Is there a way to stop it from creating this by-date subfolder?
No, unfortunately there is not.

Thanks! Bummer...
These second copies have a purpose and this purpose is to protect the users image assets. Before import, your images are limited to one and only one copy that exists on the card. Lose or damage that card and you have lost your images forever. Import your images into LR gives you two copies, one on the card and one on the disk drive. Until your system backup software kicks in, you are wise if you don't erase the card so that you have two copies of the originals. This is where the "Make a Second Copy..." comes in. Two copies on (preferably two different) drives. With the "Make a Second Copy...", you can safely erase the images on the camera card. "Make a Second Copy..."is not meant to be used in any other way. Import 500 images into LR and realize that 400 are garbage. When you delete these 400 worthless images, and all 500 are still in the "Make a Second Copy..." Dated folders in the "Make a Second Copy..." provide a concise way to identify image originals that have had time to be backed up with the system backup and no longer are needed for their "belt & suspenders" security.

No, unfortunately there is not.
Are you creating a second copy of all your imports? If so, there is a box that you can check/tick to set this option on or off. And if you, you can set the second copy folder.

All my photos are on Drive E:. My second copy folder is on Drive G:. In case Drive E: fails, I have a backup of recent imports, in addition to the regular backup of my Drives C:, D:, E: and F:

Phil Burton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back