• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

How to shut off keyboard shortcuts / turn them back on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfaucher

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
There are times when I don't want keyboard shortcuts to be active, usually when I'm captioning/keywording/titleing a large number of photos. I always seem to get into a mode where I've missed the input box (i.e. caption box) and typed in a bunch of characters that LR interprets as keyboard shortcuts. After a few moments of LR contortions in executing the shortcuts, I have to figure out how many commands to undo to get back to where I was. Is there an option to activate/deactivate the keyboard shortcuts?

In the Windows API there is a concept called "hasFocus". When you are in a text field the qwerty keys enter text. Keys such as {Cntl/Cmd} in conjunction with a qwerty key will perform an action instead of entering text. If the text field loses focus, the window that now has focus may respond to qwerty keys with a program short cut. If you click out of the text field (intentionally or not), the text field loses focus. The problem is not isolated to LR but this behavior is common with ALL Windows programs. The issue that you need to work on is to NOT click out of the text field or not press and hold {Cntl/Cmd/Alt} when you are still wanting to enter text

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back