• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

How to setup Lightroom to automatically remove Chromatic Aberration and apply the appropriate Lens Profile on import

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjlad

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I kind of like backlit outdoor images and get minor CA on many of them.
Lately the Remove Chromatic Aberration and Enable Lens Profiles in Lightroom, both seem to do an excellent job, so I trust them enough now to want those two steps applied during the import process by default.
I read some old tutorials by Scott Kelby and others that showed a big button at the bottom of the Profile Corrections box which apparently could be clicked and after that all your imports would have those steps applied automatically:
1649540070977.png

Unfortunately in the latest version of LR ...11.2, that button isn't there and nothing I've done in this Panel seems to 'stick' for the next imports:
1649538638542.png

I checked in Gloria's book "The Missing FAQ", and couldn't find what I'd need there either.

Under the Setup option above where it says "Default", I clicked that and then clicked
1649539497643.png

Then I removed all the images from the last import, and that folder, restarted Lightroom and imported the images again.
Here's that option now with the image at 200% so show the CA:
1649539789037.png

As illustrated there was no automatic application of anything.
Here's that panel and image after applying both:
1649539931261.png

Anyone know of a way to achieve this so both settings get applied by default on import?
Thanks

The root cause of this confusion is that there has been no widely agreed-upon industry standard for precisely identifying the lens used in an image. Each manufacturer does it somewhat differently, and often imperfectly. Software like LR and Exiftool thus need to keep a database of manufacturer-specific rules for mapping industry-standard and proprietary metadata fields to their best guess as to the lens model. These guesses are usually correct, as in the case of your sample photo, but not always.

The field shown by Exiftool as EXIF:LensInfo is an industry-standard field (called LensSpecification in the standard) written by the camera. It contains four numbers, minimum and maximum focal length and minimum and maximum F number. E.g. for your sample image, Exiftool displays those four numbers as:

[EXIF] Lens Info : 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3

The field MakerNotes:LensType in that photo is a manufacturer-specific proprietary field containing just a number, 57. The Exiftool app looked up that number in its database and saw that, in isolation, it is associated with the Sony DT 50mm F1.8 SAM (SAL50F18). But that's not very useful, since Exiftool knows that with this camera, that field alone doesn't determine the actual lens. Exiftool's database of rules uses other metadata fields as well to come up with its best guess, the same as LR's best guess using its own set of rules: Tamron 18-270mm F3.5-6.3 Di II PZD.

That's a good question, I don't know where things are going wrong in the camera and lens firmware. I know little about that part of the ecosystem. All we can see is what gets written in the photo metadata.

As Victoria suggested, upload a sample photo and we'll take a look. The situation with that pairing may or may not be the same (different camera, different lens).
Here's link to file for Tamron 28-75mm/ILCA-A99M2 combination. Tamron 28-75mm ID example see response to Victoria Bampton for screenshot of LrC library module.

Where I have issues is with the lens, camera, and software manufacturer not acknowledging the issues exist and doing something to fix it.
Fully agree. One issue is that the software vendors like Adobe have transparent mechanisms for gathering and sharing customer feedback, whereas the camera manufacturers just stare off into space blankly if you try to provide feedback.

Tamron SP AF 28 ~ 75 mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical [IF] Macro (Model A09)

The sample photo shows a Sony camera once again writing incorrect information in the EXIF fields:
Code:
[EXIF]  Lens Info  : 24-105mm f/3.5-4.5
[EXIF]  Lens Model  : 24-105mm F3.5-4.5
which explains why LR's Metadata panel displays the wrong lens information.

The Lens Corrections panel shows that LR has no idea what the lens is:

1652832148594.png

Searching LR's .lcp profiles indicates that Adobe hasn't provided a profile for that lens, though it has for similar models:

1652832360371.png

This explains why LR can't find a matching profile.

Exiftool's identification is only partially correct:
Code:
[Composite] Lens ID : Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 or Tamron SP AF 28-75mm F2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical [IF] Macro
Apparently Exiftool has two rules in its database that both match the metadata fields in that raw.

Attachments

• 1652832347473.png
    1652832347473.png
    29.4 KB · Views: 92
I checked in Gloria's book "The Missing FAQ", and couldn't find what I'd need there either.
Anyone know of a way to achieve this so both settings get applied by default on import?
@jjlad That big Defaults button got replaced by a whole panel in the Preferences dialog. Have a look at page 354 in the latest Classic book and it runs you through how to set them. If you purely want to enable those two checkboxes by default, here's the basic steps:
  1. On a photo, check those 2 checkboxes.
  2. Create a Develop preset with only Lens Corrections > Remove Chromatic Aberration and Enable Profile Corrections checked.
  3. Go to Preferences > Presets tab and in the Global pop-up at the top, select the preset you just created.
Now they'll be turned on for new imports, plus any photos you reset (so no need to delete and reimport)

The sample photo shows a Sony camera once again writing incorrect information in the EXIF fields:
Code:
[EXIF]  Lens Model  : 24-105mm F3.5-4.5
which explains why LR's Metadata panel displays the wrong lens information.

The Lens Corrections panel shows that LR has no idea what the lens is:

View attachment 18629

Searching LR's .lcp profiles indicates that Adobe hasn't provided a profile for that lens, though it has for similar models:

View attachment 18631

This explains why LR can't find a matching profile.

Exiftool's identification is only partially correct:
Code:
[Composite] Lens ID : Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 or Tamron SP AF 28-75mm F2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical [IF] Macro
Apparently Exiftool has two rules in its database that both match the metadata fields in that raw.
John, Sony (Tamron SP 28-75mm F2.8 Di A09S - Raw.lcp is the the same as
Tamron SP AF 28 ~ 75 mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical [IF] Macro (Model A09) {this is not what shows in LrC, it was copied from the lens spec sheet}.
I am on a Windows-10 machine, are you using a MAC? Maybe the profiles show differently on Windows than on MAC because when I go to Custom and open the list of profiles the profiles under the Tamron subheading do end in "RAW.lcp" in fact they don't even have an extension. So, are looking in the SQLite's database? Attached is a screen shot from my computer using the lens correction custom option. There are in fact 2 lenses that would fit the specs, one ends with the lens model # and the other doesn't.
No offense John but I am not as convinced that LrC has no role in the incorrect information that's being displayed.
P. S. Why do you suppose that Lightroom has two lens profiles for what appears to be the same lens? I do notice that the XR designation is missing from one of the profile listings. Unfortunately, I have no way of seeing what the full description is or what or how LrC resolves the selection or even what Tamron's and Sony's databases have for the lenses.

Attachments

• Tamron_SP_AF_28-75mm_F2.8_XR_Di_LD_Aspherical_IF_Macro_Model_A09.png
    Tamron_SP_AF_28-75mm_F2.8_XR_Di_LD_Aspherical_IF_Macro_Model_A09.png
    46.4 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Tamron SP 28-75mm F2.8 Di A09S - Raw.lcp is the the same as Tamron SP AF 28 ~ 75 mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical [IF] Macro (Model A09)
Ah, the model is A09S, and there is no A09, according to this Tamron catalog:
1652883198690.png

So I agree that the file "SONY (TAMRON SP 28-75mm F2.8 Di A09S) - RAW.lcp" contains the matching profile for that lens. But the description in that profile:
Code:
       stCamera:Make="SONY"
       stCamera:CameraRawProfile="True"
       stCamera:Lens="28-75mm F2.8"
       stCamera:LensInfo="28/1 75/1 28/10 28/10"
       stCamera:CameraPrettyName="SONY"
       stCamera:LensPrettyName="TAMRON SP 28-75mm F/2.8 Di A09S"
       stCamera:ProfileName="Adobe (TAMRON SP 28-75mm F/2.8 Di A09S, SONY)"
doesn't match what the camera wrote in the EXIF metadata:
Code:
[EXIF]  Lens Model : 24-105mm F3.5-4.5
which explains why the Lens Correction panel isn't matching automatically.

So, are looking in the SQLite's database?
I'm looking in the system folder where Camera Raw and LR store all the profiles as .lcp files. On Windows, you can use File Explorer:

1652883918306.png

Here's the result of using File Explorer to search that system folder for all profiles containing "28-75mm":

1652884139911.png

Why do you suppose that Lightroom has two lens profiles for what appears to be the same lens?
1652888570556.png
Those come from these profile files:

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III (Tamron Di 28-75mm f2.8 SP XR LD IF).lcp
SONY (TAMRON SP 28-75mm F2.8 Di A09S) - RAW.lcp

One profile is for a Canon, the other a Sony. The LR user interface doesn't make it easy to distinguish the two.

Ah, the model is A09S, and there is no A09, according to this Tamron catalog:
View attachment 18634

So I agree that the file "SONY (TAMRON SP 28-75mm F2.8 Di A09S) - RAW.lcp" contains the matching profile for that lens. But the description in that profile:
Code:
       stCamera:Make="SONY"
       stCamera:CameraRawProfile="True"
       stCamera:Lens="28-75mm F2.8"
       stCamera:LensInfo="28/1 75/1 28/10 28/10"
       stCamera:CameraPrettyName="SONY"
       stCamera:LensPrettyName="TAMRON SP 28-75mm F/2.8 Di A09S"
       stCamera:ProfileName="Adobe (TAMRON SP 28-75mm F/2.8 Di A09S, SONY)"
doesn't match what the camera wrote in the EXIF metadata:
Code:
[EXIF]  Lens Model : 24-105mm F3.5-4.5
which explains why the Lens Correction panel isn't matching automatically.
I looked at the Tamron catalog. It would appear that at some point Tamron decided to add the S on to the model number because originally it wasn't there.

Attachments

• 20220518_122727.jpg
    20220518_122727.jpg
    966.1 KB · Views: 103
  • 20220518_122952.jpg
    20220518_122952.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 92
  • 20220518_123010.jpg
    20220518_123010.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 86
  • 20220518_123027.jpg
    20220518_123027.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 101
It would appear that at some point Tamron decided to add the S on to the model number because originally it wasn't there.
Reading through the Exiftool forum threads about lenses, it appears that camera and lens manufacturers change their model-naming schemes over time, which increases the difficulty for apps to keep up.

Those come from these profile files:

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III (Tamron Di 28-75mm f2.8 SP XR LD IF).lcp
SONY (TAMRON SP 28-75mm F2.8 Di A09S) - RAW.lcp

One profile is for a Canon, the other a Sony. The LR user interface doesn't make it easy to distinguish the two.
I did search for Tamron Di 28-75mm f/2.8 SP XR LD IF in the path "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom Classic\Resources\LensProfiles\1.0" and couldn't find it. So I went up a directory still couldn't find it. So I'm wandering, why does Tamron Di 28-75mm f/2.8 SP XR LD IF show in the LrC lens profile list when I select custom as illustrated in my previous post? I did find SONY (TAMRON SP 28-75mm F2.8 Di A09S) - RAW.lcp. I must be a few fries short of a Happy Meal because I don't get it.

Bottom line; It looks like this problem/issue will never be solved unless somehow all the concerned parties get together and decide on a standard like the international standards organization does for ISO standards such as ISO 9001 and ISO 14001, etc., etc. I suppose that's too much to ask from the photographic industry. When I was working in Quality Management I can't imagine having to try to write a procedure and process manual for Quality Assurance with such a lackadaisical system as the photographic industry.

I did search for Tamron Di 28-75mm f/2.8 SP XR LD IF in the path "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom Classic\Resources\LensProfiles\1.0" and couldn't find it.
I had to stare at that one a bit. You've included a "/" -- if you omit the slash, you'll find it (the file name doesn't include slashes):

1652907338457.png

I generally search for fewer terms, e.g. just "tamron 28-75mm" so I'm more likely to find what might be there.

I had to stare at that one a bit. You've included a "/" -- if you omit the slash, you'll find it (the file name doesn't include slashes):
I inadvertently included the "/" in search description entered here but I did not include in file explorer search box. I actually entered the search term "Tamron Di 28-75mm". It's just that I was looking for the lens profile to show up in the Tamron sub-folder because that is where it is in LrC lens profile custom list.
Tamron_Di_28-75mm_lensprofile_location.png

Tamron_SP_AF_28-75mm_F2.8_XR_Di_LD_Aspherical_IF_Macro_Model_A09.png

In file explorer is in the Canon subfolder which again I don't understand. And don't understand why there is a (camera name (lens).lcp and camera name (lens).raw.lcp file. But I suppose at this point we're beating a dead horse, please forgive the bad cliche.
View attachment 18646

I generally search for fewer terms, e.g. just "tamron 28-75mm" so I'm more likely to find what might be there.

To add to the confusion I looked up lens on BandH.com. It's a used lens but the model number is A09M instead of A09S. But specs indicate for Sony A-mount. I've had mine for years before Sony took over the Minolta A-mount. Thus is probably why my lens has no letter designation behind the model #. Here's the link Tamron SP 28-75mm f28 Di XR Aspherical IF

Last edited:
In file explorer is in the Canon subfolder which again I don't understand. And don't understand why there is a (camera name (lens).lcp and camera name (lens).raw.lcp file. But I suppose at this point we're beating a dead horse, please forgive the bad cliche.
The horse isn't dead yet.

Each .lcp lens profile is for a particular camera-manufacturer/lens or camera-model/lens pair. For a third-party lens, the profile is stored in the subfolder:

<lens manufacturer> \ <camera manufacturer> \ <profile>.lcp

For a lens made by the camera manufacturer, the profile is stored in

<camera manufacturer> \ <profile>.lcp

So that Tamron/Canon profile is stored in:

LensProfiles\1.0\Tamron\Canon\Canon (TAMRON SP 28-75mm F2.8 Di A09E) - RAW.lcp

don't understand why there is a (camera name (lens).lcp and camera name (lens).raw.lcp file

Profiles ending in "- RAW" are for raw files, while those not ending in "- RAW" are for non-raws (e.g. JPEGs). There aren't many non-raw profiles. The raw profiles have this line:

<stCamera:CameraRawProfile>True</stCamera:CameraRawProfile>

whereas the non-raw profiles have that line with "False".

The horse isn't dead yet.

Each .lcp lens profile is for a particular camera-manufacturer/lens or camera-model/lens pair. For a third-party lens, the profile is stored in the subfolder:

<lens manufacturer> \ <camera manufacturer> \ <profile>.lcp

For a lens made by the camera manufacturer, the profile is stored in

<camera manufacturer> \ <profile>.lcp

So that Tamron/Canon profile is stored in:

LensProfiles\1.0\Tamron\Canon\Canon (TAMRON SP 28-75mm F2.8 Di A09E) - RAW.lcp

Profiles ending in "- RAW" are for raw files, while those not ending in "- RAW" are for non-raws (e.g. JPEGs). There aren't many non-raw profiles. The raw profiles have this line:

<stCamera:CameraRawProfile>True</stCamera:CameraRawProfile>

whereas the non-raw profiles have that line with "False".
Thanks John

I think at this point I may revisit switching to CaptureOne. I took a look at CaptureOne pre-Abobe subscription model and opted not to switch to CaptureOne at that time. However, I think the time has come to take another look.

@jjlad That big Defaults button got replaced by a whole panel in the Preferences dialog. Have a look at page 354 in the latest Classic book and it runs you through how to set them. If you purely want to enable those two checkboxes by default, here's the basic steps:
  1. On a photo, check those 2 checkboxes.
  2. Create a Develop preset with only Lens Corrections > Remove Chromatic Aberration and Enable Profile Corrections checked.
  3. Go to Preferences > Presets tab and in the Global pop-up at the top, select the preset you just created.
Now they'll be turned on for new imports, plus any photos you reset (so no need to delete and reimport)
Thanks for responding Gloria. Usually I get an email notification if there's a notification for me but I didn't get one on this, so just noticed it now. I'll look at that when possible.
For the past couple of hours my Import Dialog has been hopeless. It was working ok when I inserted SD cards earlier today, after which I had closed LR and run a backup on exit. Since then, even after rebooting I click Import to get some files I haven't imported previously that are already on HDD, then wait 5 or 6 minutes before the dialog even opens. After that I have to wait 2 or 3 minutes on each click until finally it just gives up the ghost and freezes up. I don't see any new updates being available and I'm on 11.3.1 already, so not sure what to do about that. Giving up for tonite.

Start a new thread on that one @jjlad, if a good sleep and a reboot don't do the trick.

Thanks Victoria, looks like either LR or my laptop did need a good sleep. Everything appears to be working ok again now!
Say ...did you see that post I made about sizing in Comparison view? Ideally, if Enhanced was used and one wanted to be able to compare the Enhanced image to the original, there would be a way to lock them in RELATIVE size so if comparing the Enhanced at 100% the original would be scaled to 200% and THEN the LOCK could be applied so that as one navigated around the image they would both move and remain at the same relative size. Currently the LOCK scales to whatever percent on is at on the currently selected photo, so every time you have to re-scale either it or the other one to get a true Comparison View. I think there should be a LOCK at RELATIVE SIZE. Would you not agree?
I know it doesn't seem like an issue for many folks because I got not a single reply. Perhaps I hadn't explained myself very well.
https://www.lightroomqueen.com/comm...-if-images-are-of-different-dimensions.45259/

I‘d missed that thread. I’m guessing everyone else skipped it because there isn’t a solution I’m afraid!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back