• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

How to set up LR Classic in a New User (Mac)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsinsf

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic version: 9.1 [ 201911291132-64cf80b4 ]
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
I use a Mac Pro 2013 , OS 10.14.6. I have my LR Catalog on the boot drive. My photos live on an external drive connected to the boot drive. I set up a New User, but when I open LR it's an empty catalog. What is the best way to set up LR in the New User so that if I switch back and forth between the New User and the Administrator user they mirror each other? Ie, if I make changes in the New User, when I open LR in the Administrator user it shows the same info, and visa versa. Thanks.

You both have to double-click on the same catalogue.

I'm not a Mac person, but isn't the catalog usually in a folder path that includes the signed in user? Like "HD/Users/<username>/picutres/Lightroom" and that folder path would not be visible to a different logged unser? At least this is how Windows works. If indeed it works the same way, then the folder containing the catalog needs to be placed in a "public" folder. For example (Windows) "C:\Users\Public\Pictures\Lightroom" - or the catalog folder can be placed on an external hard drive that is accessible to both users.

I also wonder if using LR from two different users, even on the same machine, would count the same in terms of Adobe Licensing as if it were on two machines. Not sure it this is at the computer serial number level or someplace like "appdata" that is unique to each user. The program code itself (Windows) is in the Program Files folder which is common to all users, but much other info is in "appdata" which is unique to each user. I'm wondering if that "appdata" stuff would also have to be on the public side.

Has anyone ever noticed if there is an install option for "this user only" vs "all users of this computer". I know some applications have such a choice and other don't but I can't recall about LR Classic.

Dan

OK, I put the LR catalog and the two data files into the Shared Folder and my LR catalog now opens in the New User. However, in Library mode the thumbnails don't show the photo, it's greyed out. The file info is present below the photo. If you double click on the thumbnail it opens up the large photo, but again only a grey screen. The whacky thing is if I go do the Develop module and double click on a thumbnail, it does open the editable photo. Any thoughts on what gives and how to fix it?

did you move everything in the same folder that contained the catalog, including all the preview folders?

Yes I had moved the preview folder but I had neglected to fiddle with permissions. After doing so, on the New User Lightroom opens just fine with all the thumbnails showing photos. However, when I try Photo/Edit in/Edit in Photoshop CC 2020 I get this message:
1577488652614.png

My photos are in an external drive connected by USB 3.0. Any suggestions? Photoshop opens fine in the New User, and I have checked all the permissions and they are all "Read and write".

I don't understand that error message in context of trying to launch PS from LR Classic. Maybe someone else who is more Mac Literate will chime in.

But, I do have a question. What is driving your need to have two accounts on the same computer? I understand if one is for you and one for another family member but my sense from this thread is that they are both for you.

Is "Most Recent Catalogue 2-2" the name of the catalogue you're using?

I'm with Dan: I don't understand, either.

Well it's really not germane to my question, but I have no secrets. I use Lightroom and Photoshop CC 2020, both the latest versions, on a Mac with OS 10;14;6. The Lightroom Catalog is on my boot drive in a Shared Folder, and my photos are on an external drive. Photoshop CC 2020 started acting very buggy, so after trying Preferences reset to fix the problem (it did not), I un installed and reinstalled it again. The problem persists. It freezes constantly and when it works it is very buggy. I've spent days and many hours trying to find the problem (including turning off using the Video Card), and someone suggested seeing if installing it in a New User would fix the problem. It did, so now I am trying to migrate my workflow to New User. Regarding my current issue, in New User LR opens normally and the thumbnails are present for all of my photos but when I go to Photo/Edit/Edit in Photoshop CC 2020 I now get this message. All permissions are correct. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. On Administrator user, Lightroom works well and opens photos in Photoshop normally, but Photoshop is somehow so corrupted that it is unusable and I have exhausted my efforts to find the problem In New User Photoshop works well but Lightroom will not open a photo into Photoshop. Help!!
Screen Shot 2019-12-27 at 5.49.15 PM.png

I noticed that the name of the external disk is 'Backup 1'. Of course that doesn't have to mean anything (what's in a name?), but normally I would not name a working disk 'Backup', because a backup drive is not a working disk. That leads to the question: what kind of disk is this? Is it just an ordinary external disk with an odd name, or is it perhaps a Time Machine backup disk (too)?

As my question falls under the heading of this thread (How to set up LR Classic in a New User (Mac)) I'm guessing it's ok to post it here. I'm trying to avoid playing around too much with my new MacBook Pro 16" (expected 15 January) in the way of setting up multiple and/or unnecessary user accounts or, in other words, remaining true to my motto of KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid).
I intend, as is currently the case with my old Windows machine, leaving all my images on an EHD and backing up to another EHD using Time Machine. Am I correct in assuming that once having downloaded and installed LR on the Mac that as part of the installation process an empty catalogue shall also be installed? If this is in fact the case, would it be acceptable to delete this catalogue (lr cat) replacing it with the catalogue from the Windows machine or would members recommend a better location? Also, should the previews folder be installed in the same location as the lr.cat file or would it be better to locate it on the EHD along with the images?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back