How to run Lightroom from a OneDrive sync folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

wordsman

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Hi

Can anyone tell me how to run Lightroom from a OneDrive sync folder please? I'm using Dropbox at the moment but as my subscription is due and I'm already paying for Office 365 want to move over. The challenge, is OneDrive doesn't seem to allow you to upload whole folders, just individual files. But Lightroom needs to manage the folders. Is it possible to upload a folder of photos (with sub-folders) and the Lightroom catalogue to OneDrive and point Lightroom to the new location?

Thanks for your help :eek:)

Side note: While I am a fan of Onedrive I may go back to Carbonite as my cloud backup as they provide both local drive backup and external drive backup support
I switched to CrashPlan because Carbonite promised but never delivered external drive backup for Macs. I used the option when I ran Windows but had to quit the app when I switched to a Mac. Both Carbonite and CrashPlan offer unlimited backup storage for a simple annual fee of ~$60USD. OneDrive limits each user to 1TB for $84USD. My CrashPlan backup is 1.6 TB and growing.

I switched to CrashPlan because Carbonite promised but never delivered external drive backup for Macs. I used the option when I ran Windows but had to quit the app when I switched to a Mac. Both Carbonite and CrashPlan offer unlimited backup storage for a simple annual fee of ~$60USD. OneDrive limits each user to 1TB for $84USD. My CrashPlan backup is 1.6 TB and growing.

Thanks for sharing. I also found this on the web comparing backup for macs. It does rate CrashPlan very well here. The Best Mac Online Backup Services of 2016 some of these might also be option for Windows users so worth a look.

Note. Cloud Sync is NOT a backup.
I use OneDrive, I do not have DNG files over a 100mb in size that I know of, so I cannot comment on that issue.
However, OneDrive cannot read the preview embedded in the file size, but the images are there just fine. I use OneDrive to sync my catalog and images between two computers.

That is excellent advice! Thanks all for sharing. I have OneDrive because my business pays for Microsoft 365 and I have a TB there anyway, so why not use it?

Since I have multiple PCs (am not a Mac person, they don't like me) I figure I will just duplicate everything on ALL of them, so if the small town I work in gets hit by an F5 tornado, or my house does, there is almost zero probability it will happen to both.

Hard drives are CHEAP. And I have a few laying around from older machines, so why not format them and use them if necessary?

And I have a few laying around from older machines, so why not format them and use them
All Hard Drives will fail at some point. I have some older drives that are 8 years old. I no longer put user critical data on them, instead using them for temporary storage and redundant back ups of critical data held elsewhere. As long as you are aware of the risks of using ancient Hard Disk drives, and do not store your only copy of critical data there then I'd say use them as I do.

All Hard Drives will fail at some point. I have some older drives that are 8 years old. I no longer put user critical data on them, instead using them for temporary storage and redundant back ups of critical data held elsewhere.
That's the plan. A copy at work, one at one at home, backup to OneDrive, and redundant HD storage at home.

All Hard Drives will fail at some point. I have some older drives that are 8 years old. I no longer put user critical data on them, instead using them for temporary storage and redundant back ups of critical data held elsewhere. As long as you are aware of the risks of using ancient Hard Disk drives, and do not store your only copy of critical data there then I'd say use them as I do.
And really old hard drives will probably have the IDE connector interface. All modern drives have the SATA interface. A modern computer may not even have the connectors for an IDE cable. Time to just smash those drives (so no one can recover your private data) and then recycle them.

Wow! I don't think anyone cares enough about me to try and steal my 2004 data. They would probably be much happier with something from at least 2015+.

"He smoked weed in college!" :0

Now it's legal in lije 25% of the country by population. Oh, no!!

That's about the worst of my dirt anyway. A few mix tapes from my buddies that are technically felonies.

:0

Oh, my!!

If they get me I will laugh at them.

Sorry to double post, I know that's bad form. I hope everyone knows I was joking.

I do actually use a 2005 Gateway PC every day. Works for streaming, also a juke box.

It was formerly a recording studio machine with pro level sound cards, huge amounts of storage (for 2005) and still works and definitely SOUNDS great! There is some unlistenable music on there, 48,000 outtakes of guitar solos, etc. I do back up my work to that machine. It will probably crash eventually. I have more machines in storage I can use for the same purposes - Netflix, basically.

I can report that I was initially very excited about OneDrive. I uploaded 125 GB seemingly in about 15 minutes! I was shocked. But wait..

And wait...

Wait.. just wait....

24 hours later a total of 35 of my photos appear on OneDrive on my laptop (out of 15,000). So that seems to be the rub: OneDrive is likely useless as a replacement for CreativeCloud because it is slower than AOL in 1993. I feel like I am waiting to download a Nirvana album.. check after work, ooh! 21%

Wake up the next morning? Oh, oh! 36%

If anything I am nostalgic for dial up.

Will be a good backup, though. It has it's place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back