• Welcome to Lightroom Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to register and post your first thread under Help on the menubar above. You're also welcome to join our newsletter, download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBook and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • The February 2018 Lightroom updates are now available. Lightroom Classic includes a new tool called Enhance Detail. Lightroom CC has lots of big improvements on the desktop, including HDR Merge, Panorama Merge, Targeted Adjustment Tool and more. The Lightroom Queen eBooks are already updated for the changes.
  • Are you using Lightroom CC on Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Apple TV or in a web browser? Are you syncing your photos to the cloud? Then you'll love my new book, Adobe Lightroom CC - Edit Like a Pro! It shows you how to use the full Lightroom CC ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also learn the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily.

How to resize a photo in Lightroom Mobile before saving to Camera Rolll on iPad

Brenda Clarkson

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
I've been experimenting with Lightroom Mobile. I've successfully transferred the images from my SD card to the iPad Camera Roll, imported some photos to Lightroom Mobile and then tweaked and cropped them. Now I would like to save a few of them back to the Camera Roll, but I want them to have fixed pixel dimensions (like long edge 1200 pixels). So I need to be able to either resize the photos first, or else specify a size when they are being saved to the Camera Roll. I can usually figure out how to do most things by searching on the web or going through all the menu options, but I haven't been able to solve this problem. I would really appreciate if someone could explain how this is done. My goal is to post photos (with a fixed size) to a blog from the Camera Roll when I am traveling and away from my computer.

Thanks.

Victoria Bampton

Lightroom Queen
Staff member
Administrator
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
CC Cloud
Hi Brenda, welcome to the forum!

Good question... the reason you can't find the answer is Lightroom mobile doesn't offer control over the size when saving them back to the camera roll. You may be able to resize them as you upload them to your blog though.

johnbeardy

Staff member
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
I don't think there's a way you can control the size, Brenda. Usually blog software will do the resizing though.

John

Brenda Clarkson

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Thanks for the help - I won't spend any more time trying to figure it out! Seems strange that a photo editing app doesn't have a way to resize a photo. I can find other ways to accomplish the resize, but it means the photo will go through 2 JPEG compression cycles (once out of Lightroom Mobile, and again to resize). When I do it from Lightroom on my computer, I get what I want in just one step. Probably doesn't matter much. Maybe resize will be added in a future version. Thanks again.

johnbeardy

Staff member
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Part of the reason neither LrMobile nor Camera Roll nor Snapseed etc offer a generic resizing tool is that they resize "silently" instead. So when they send images to another app, the necessary resizing is built into the Share definition appropriate for email or for another Adobe app or whatever. Also, with regard to web output, today's huge diversity of screen sizes and resolutions, plus fewer bandwidth restrictions, means that web pages tend to access larger images and resizing happens in the browser. That's a generalisation, but hopefully provides an insight into the issues.