• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

How to recreate the soft greys of black and white film

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul_7

Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I used to use Ilford FP4, printing in my own darkroom, and I loved the soft greys and gentle gradations I got in faces - especially of children. I've tried to recreate this in Lightroom and failed. Any suggestions?

That looks brilliant - thanks! I'd tried searching but not found anything as good. Yes, I shoot in raw and process (and convert) in Lightroom, so this should do it. If I get time I'll try it this weekend. Thanks

Hmmm. I've tried that one - I have to say that it doesn't really get what I want. It may have some aspects of FP4 but not those soft greys. And you're right there's loads out there. But has anyone else found the right one for this issue?

What I would suggest is to use the B&W panel slider and especially the little targetted adjustment tool (top left). With a face like you describe, I'd be dragging the tool upwards on the face, which would be lightening how reds and oranges (etc) are rendered in grayscale. The beauty of this tool is that it lets you keep you eye on the image, not flicking back to the panel, and as you drag the cursor you see how areas of colour are converted and how the grayscale composition changes.

I wouldn't be looking at presets until I was confident with this - and making my own presets. Remember that the same film stock can produce very different tones depending on whether you used a coloured lens filter, and grain will vary wildly depending on your choice of developer, dilution and agitation.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-13 at 14.29.14.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-13 at 14.29.14.png
    26.9 KB · Views: 168
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back