• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

How to open already exported raw file?

Status
Not open for further replies.

adonetok

Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 7
I imported a raw file, after edited in Lr and then edited in Denoise, exorted as tif file.
After that, I want to import the same raw file again but was told that

This file has already been imported.

How to import the file again?

You don't import but one time. You need to apply a different set of develop instructions when you export. Find your original RAW file in your Lightroom Catalog. You can create a "virtual copy" and this will create a second set of develop instructions (a fork). Select one of the copies and go to the Develop module. At the bottom of the right Develop panel are two buttons. Click on {Reset} and this will return that copy to its original imported state. When you finish processing this copy, you can export it as you did the other. Make sure that you give the exported TIFFs unique names to avoid confusion.

Thank you. I did edit and then export but got an error said that
The file appears to be unsupported or damaged.
See attached screenshot.
How to fix it?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 115
Thank you. I did edit and then export but got an error said that
The file appears to be unsupported or damaged.
See attached screenshot.
How to fix it?
This is not the original RAW file. It is hard to say where it might be "damaged". It probably has a non standard TIFF Header (has it been through DeNoise?)

Here is the work flow that I would recommend if you are going to use any 3rd party editor (like DeNoise)
  1. Edit the RAW file inLightroom
  2. Use the Edit-In function to create a derivative (EXPORT) TIFF file to send to DeNoise.
  3. Edit that TIFF file in DeNoise and Save it.
  4. That TIFF file is now edited by both Lightroom among Denoise and in the Lightroom Catalog.
  5. Use the Lightroom Export function to create a new derivative that will contain both the Lightroom edits and the Denoise Edits.

I did again but save as jpg from Denoise and successfully.
Why?
I learn this way from here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaNsK7MAQbc

Last edited:
I did again but save as jpg from Denoise and successfully.
Why?
I learn this way from here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaNsK7MAQbc
This is basically the same steps as I outlined earlier. What the video recommends that I don't and I think most people here don't either is to zero out the Sharpening and Noise reduction. You can't avoid some sharpening and noise reduction being applied during the conversion of RAW to RGB and Output sharpening is applied on Export (presumably when the file is created for Edit-In)
If you can resolve your sharpening and NR in Lightroom to your satisfaction, there is no need to create an intermediated TIFF and send that to Topaz.

This is basically the same steps as I outlined earlier. What the video recommends that I don't and I think most people here don't either is to zero out the Sharpening and Noise reduction. You can't avoid some sharpening and noise reduction being applied during the conversion of RAW to RGB and Output sharpening is applied on Export (presumably when the file is created for Edit-In)
If you can resolve your sharpening and NR in Lightroom to your satisfaction, there is no need to create an intermediated TIFF and send that to Topaz.
I haven't looked at the video, but if you send an image to Topaz Denoise, then I would indeed recommend to set sharpening in Lightroom to zero. In fact I recently recommended that in another thread, and explained why. I'll explain it again: The reason is that one should not sharpen first and do noise reduction later, because that will sharpen the noise that you then need to remove. If you do everything in Lightroom, then Lightroom takes care of the proper order. But if you send an image to an external editor, then Lightroom edits will be applied on the TIFF that is sent. And that means that if the external editor is a special noise reduction application, you don't want to send an already sharpened tiff to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back