• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

How to name photos in Lightroom so that I will see them in the same order on a tablet in Adroid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hügel

How to name photos in Lightroom 3 so that I will see them in the same order on a tablet in Adroid?
I ususally name my photos after having created a show in a folder at last like 2017-10-04_Lightroom_1.jpg etc. If I copy such a folder with more than 100 photos on my new tablet Samsung SM-T560 (Android 4.4.4.) the order of those photos is a mess and I cannot rearrange the old order of the photos of the old order in the tablet.

How to solve the problem? How to export the photos in the folder to the tablet so that I can see my photos in the right order? Or how to name the photos in Lightroom in a better way before I export them to the tablet?

I do not want to have a show with fixed times but want to be able to open each photo on the tablet by myself.

Is Android able to open photos in .dng? Which App to use to see the show on my tablet?
I tried it with Galery, Google Photo, Lightroom ... but that did not solve the problem with the wrong order of my photos ...

I also heard that there is also a problem with a TV in which the order of the photos is a mess (using a photo DVD with photos in jpg)

Last edited:
I can't answer your questions about Android but in regards to the order, is it possible it's putting 11-19 in between 1 and 2, and 21-29 between 2 and 3, etc?
i.e.

If so, then try renaming them with leading zeroes, so 1 becomes 01 or 001.

Using library - rename photos - edit - userdefined text + sequence nummer 001 (for a folder with 999 photos or less) in Lightroom 3 it was possible to name the photos in my folder in the right way so that I see them on a TV in the same order.

Last edited:
How to name photos in Lightroom 3 so that I will see them in the same order on a tablet in Adroid?
I ususally name my photos after having created a show in a folder at last like 2017-10-04_Lightroom_1.jpg etc. If I copy such a folder with more than 100 photos on my new tablet Samsung SM-T560 (Android 4.4.4.) the order of those photos is a mess and I cannot rearrange the old order of the photos of the old order in the tablet.
In Lightroom 3, how are you sorting them in the Library Grid View? (Sort options are on the tool bar at the bottom of the grid. Are you exporting these to your local drive? How are they sorted in Explorer/Finder? One sort option is File name. Capture date is another and Windows and OSX use several different sort methods, with file name being the default.
Assuming the you are uploading exported images to the Samsung, what app are you using on the Samsung to view the images? What is the default sort order for that app? Does it have different sort options(like Lightroom and Explorer/Finder do)?

Renaming image file is not critical unless the destination app only sorts on file name. And then you need to trick the destination app into sorting in the order that you want by creating file names that will take advantage of the apps sort function. Some apps (and here I refer to the iPhone Photos app.) want to resent images by the "moment" (or the capture date). There is not anything that I can do with the iPhone Photos app to get it to sort otherwise. Consequently I do not use the iPhone Photos app for anything important.
If this is your problem with the Samsung, you might want to install the Lightroom CC Android app. You can use out to sync to your Lightroom 3 version and the cloud, but you ought to be able to use it locally on the Samsung for a slide show and it provides all of the same sorting options as you Lightroom 3 version.

I have found different photo display apps on Android handle things differently, but they all allow display by image name.

My approach is via FastStone. After Export I use FastStone's light box view to arrange them in the order I want, then batch rename them in that sequence (using a naming template that leaves gaps for later manual insertion, if needed).

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back