• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • The May 2019 Lightroom updates are now available. There's a brand new slider called Texture, available across the whole family of apps. Lightroom Classic includes a new tool called Flat Field Correction. Lightroom (cloud-based service) has lots of big improvements including cloud trash, invitation-only web galleries, improved chromatic aberration removal and more. The Missing FAQ and Edit Like a Pro eBooks are already updated for the changes. You'll also notice the CC's have disappeared off the end of the names, so we've updated the forum names to match.

How to move the Catalog.lrcat?

Biff

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
Lightroom Version
Operating System
Windows 10
I want to move my Lightroom Catalog.lrcat to another drive.

Can I just move the folder containing the catalog / data with a file manager (may be rename it), then start Lightroom and when it asks for the catalog just enter the new path? Or is there a better / saver manner?

dbvirago

Lightroom Version
After moving it, you can start LR and click File Open Catalog, or just double-click on the lrcat file from within Explorer

Biff

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
After moving it, you can start LR and click File Open Catalog
I would think, when it does not find the catalog, it will ask for it, so actually there should not appear that "File Open Catalog". But I assume, that wouldn't matter which one of those item would be shown.

clee01l

Staff member
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic 8
I want to move my Lightroom Catalog.lrcat to another drive.

Can I just move the folder containing the catalog / data with a file manager (may be rename it), then start Lightroom and when it asks for the catalog just enter the new path? Or is there a better / saver manner?
Either your method or the suggestion by dbvirago will work. After you open the catalog form the new location, a couple of thing may occur. The image path stored in the LR catalog file may be out of date as Windows might rely upon a relative path (that is a path relative to the path to the catalog file). If that is the case, then you will need to locate the parent folder(s) for the LR catalog.
The other thing to watch out for is in preferences on the General Tab for the setting for the default catalog. Sometimes this is set to "Last opened" but probably should be set to the (new) location of the Master Catsalog file.

Biff

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
Alright, I made it, very easily done.

How could one rename the catalog, respectively what files / folders do one have to rename? Is it enough to rename this folder:
? Or do I have to rename the sub folders of that folder:
?

Or can one rename the catalog in Lightroom? Is there an option?

Biff

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
Many thanks, Jim.

Done now.