Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
6.x
Lightroom Version Number
cc 10.11
Operating System
Hi all
At the moment I have my Lightroom folders ( LR cat. lrcat, preview.lrdata, LR setting + backups) on an external drive, as I till recently used several machines to excess LR. As I sold my I mac and got myself a 4K monitor I now work only on the laptop.
I often have the problem that, evn that I do not move the external drive I get a error message, LR encountered a problem and has to quit. It seems there is a problem with conectivity to the exHD. However this ONLY happens with LR. At no time do I have this with other applications stored on the exHD
To make a long story short, I want to move LR completly back onto the laptop HD. Can I just copy and past (drag) all the folders on the HD or is there a protocol to follow.
I know I could do that with the lrcat folder, but how would LR " find the preview data?
Thanks in advance for your help

Hi Paul hope you well. I do want to MOVE my catalog.. Can I just copy past/ drag it to the new location and which parts do i need to move or is there a specific way to do it?

Sorry Paul all good, only read till rename ((-:

Hi

As the first Blog states:

To move the catalog:
  1. Quit Lightroom.
  2. Use Windows Explorer (Windows) / Finder (Mac) to move the catalog file, just as you would move any other file.
  3. Move the other files at the same time, keeping them next to the catalog file, but don’t move the Mobile Downloads.lrdata file if it exists.
  4. When you next come to reopen Lightroom, hold down Ctrl (Windows) / Opt (Mac) to navigate to the catalog, or just double-click on the catalog file (*.lrcat). You may need to change the default catalog (in Preferences > General tab) so it opens the correct catalog automatically in future.
  5. The next time the backup runs, double check that you’re still happy with the backup location, or update it if needed.
So yes, basically!

Sorry Paul all good, only read till rename ((-:

No worries! Handy part of the start of the post is it helps with the various files etc

Just ask if you get stuck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back