• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

How to Manage Import File Name Presets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Hi, All,
I've had LR for 2 days and expect I'll have lots of questions that I hope I can ask here and get some suggestions. I'm searching through here, LR Help, and other places first, but being new to the application, it can be difficult to know the right search words to find answers.

Anyway, my current question is this: Can I edit my Import (from card reader) file naming presets without actually being in the import process? In other words, I want to set up some presets ahead of time without having to insert a card from my camera and pretend to import.

I did find a similar preset dialog where I could see and edit the naming presets, within the Library > Rename Photos menu, but it did not include the "Shoot Name" field, as the import dialog does, and that's one of the fields I want to use.

Hope this is clear enough - as I said, I'm very new to LR and don't have all the terminology down yet. :blush:

Thanks!
Sue

Hi Sue, welcome to Lightroom Forums.

I have read both of your posts about file renaming and in fact it is easy to answer both questions in one go.

With regard to been able to edit file renaming presets without going into the import dialog - this is easy - in the Library module look in the R-panel.
One of the sub panels has the heading 'Metadata'.
Under 'Preset' the next item should be 'Filename'.
If a single image is elected you should see a filename in the box next to it.
What you are after is next to the filename - it is a small square motif with three short, squiggly lines on it.
Click on this and the file renaming dialog box comes up - the last preset will be found next of 'File Renaming:'.
Click on the little arrows at the end of the box containing the preset and another box will appear - at the bottom is the word 'Edit', click on this and the 'Filename Template Editor' dialog box appears.

I will deal with how to actually edit the template to get the results you want and how to apply this template to multiple images simultaneously in another post.
Unfortunately I need to sign off for a shot time.

Tony Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back