• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

How to make "Overwrite Settings" automatice

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsinsf

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 12 Monterey
I make pixel copies of all my edited photos (Canon CR2 raws to PSD) using "Save As" in PS and store them on an external hard drive. I frequently open photos again (via Lightroom) and make addition changes then use "save", again in PS. It seems like the changes automatically get sent to LR, but in LR there is now an explanation mark over the thumbnail which I have to click on and choose "Import Settings from Disk". Am I doing something wrong in my workflow that generates the explanation point and then this message? Or am I not understanding the purpose of this message? I suppose I could just ignore the explanation mark , but I'm too OCD for that. Thanks in advance!

Screen Shot 2023-01-27 at 12.59.46 PM.png

Last edited:
The user is the only one can make a decision in this situation.
The choice is to preserve the work you have done in Lightroom Classic or replace your work with what you have done with another application outside of the LrC application e.g. Bridge, Camera Raw, Photoshop or another third party application.
The work you have is done in LrC is all in the Catalog and the info on disk can contain some info you have done in LrC and some from other applications.
Only the user will have any idea what they wish to preserve.
So the risk is if you import settings from the disk you may overwrite/change info in the LrC Catalog. Alternatively if you choose the other alternative you will loose info you have done outside LrC.

Last edited:
Talk about a convoluted workflow. As far as I can deduce you use LrC to manage and edit images but also use PS to edit images as well. And, for some reason, you don't trust LrC to be able to reproduce pixel files containing all your edits at a future date so you also keep a pixel version of your edited images.

What I would do is this.....

1. Continue using LrC as you have been
  2. Continue sending images to PS for further edting as you have been
  3. Rather than doing a "Save As" in PS, just close the image in PS which will return the edited version to LrC.
  4. Set up a LrC Publish Service and populate it with all your "edited" images, be they edited in LrC or those that come back from PS. In the Publish service, pick whatever output file type you wish.
  5. When a photo comes back to LrC from PS, add it to the Publish Service
  6. Every now and again, click the republish button on the publish servce to update any changed images.

Thanks for the suggestions. I still would like to understand better what is going on with the exclamation point/pop up window routinue. If I revisit an image in Photoshop and make some changes and press "Save" those changes immediately appear in Lightroom. Are those changes not then stored in the catalogue? What does clicking the "Import Settings from Disk" accomplish?

Thanks for the suggestions. I still would like to understand better what is going on with the exclamation point/pop up window routinue. If I revisit an image in Photoshop and make some changes and press "Save" those changes immediately appear in Lightroom. Are those changes not then stored in the catalogue? What does clicking the "Import Settings from Disk" accomplish?
If you send an image to PS using the "edit in" feature of LrC, and then in PS, just save it (or just close the tab in PS for that image and let it save) the metadata from PS is included in the image and in the catalog and the mismatch icon should not appear. However if in PS you save the image with a different name or to a different folder (Save As) then LrC is blind to what you did in PS and the likelyhood of a metadata mismatch goes up.

Having said all of that, be aware that there is also a long standing problem that some people have (including myself) where on some images, LrC will never get the metadata to match. As soon as you save the metadata to disk the icon goes off but a few seconds later comes right back on, even if you have not even touched the keyboard or mouse. There are also a handful of reports that just viewing an image causes the metadata mismatch flag to come on. These problems have been reported but so far have not been fixed to my knowledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back