• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

how to keep files maximum size when exporting

Status
Not open for further replies.

farwest

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
LRC 9.4
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Been sending in files to have made into posters and the outfit doing them want maximum size. Before exporting I have a 3280 x 4928 which is over 16mp after exporting jpg I will have files that are 6 to 9 mp. The people doing the posters are wondering why the files are not bigger. What is the best way to export to get the maximum size for doing posters. Posters are 2' x 3' and 3' x 4'.

Don't check the 'Resize' option in the Export dialog.

If possible, agree with printer service what file type (eg jpg, tiff, psd), what embedded profile (srgb,AdobeRGB or ProphotoRGB and for tiff or psd if you should use 8 or 16 bit files.

For 3'x4' prints, the printing service may be using a workflow which re-sizes and sharpens the image to suit the media and a 16 bit tiff might be useful in that scenario. (Ps.... "Don't check the 'Resize' option in the Export dialog" is a very good answer and complementary to my note).

Thank you for your input. I have sold files to a business that wanted the full file in jpg and they thought the file should be bigger on an un-cropped photo from my D4. I didn't know what to say as this is a bit new to me.

Thank you for your input. I have sold files to a business that wanted the full file in jpg and they thought the file should be bigger on an un-cropped photo from my D4. I didn't know what to say as this is a bit new to me.
Sounds like they look at the file size in megabytes, not megapixels like you said in your initial post. JPEG is a compressed format, so if they insist in getting a bigger file size in megabytes, then you should use a lower compression. The Quality slider in the Export dialog does that.

BTW, 6 to 9 MB is a normal FILE size for a 3280 x 4928 pixels IMAGE size, when creating a jpeg file with the compression set at minimum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back