• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • The December 2019 Lightroom updates are now available. Lightroom Classic is just bug fixes and new cameras in this release, but it fixes a whole load of macOS Catalina issues.
    Lightroom (cloud-based service) has export options and direct import on iOS and the ability to contribute photos to someone else's account from the desktop/mobile apps.
    The Missing FAQ and Edit Like a Pro eBooks are already updated for the changes.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Import how to import a folder and its subfolders into LR while preserving the folder structure

dtbain

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Classic CC version 8
Operating System
macOS 10.13 High Sierra
Hello all

Somehow my Lr catalog lost sight of a folder (call it A) and its subfolders: a, b, c, etc.

When I create A in Lr and then try to important from A outside Lr, I get all the pictures but not the folder structure, i.e. they all appear in A, undifferentiated.

Is there a way of importing A and its subfolders back into Lr while keeping the images organised in their subfolders?

To do this manually, i.e. subfolder by subfolder, would take ages.

Thanks lots

David

dtbain

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Hi Johan,

Thanks for reply.

I mean that Lr doesn't show the missing folder or its subfolders at all, not that there's question marks etc.

I was assuming there must be a way of doing this because, though I've been using Lr for long enough that I can't remember how I set it up, I assume that if you have a parent folder with a bunch of subfolders, you could tell Lr (at least when setting up your first ever catalog) just to import both the folder structure and the contents. But is that not possible?

Thanks

d

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
In that case the first solution is to restore your Lightroom catalog from a backup. Reimporting those folders means you will lose all edits and added metadata.

If you don’t have a recent enough catalog backup, then the only option left is to reimport all. You should then import the top folder, but use ‘Add’ at the top of the import dialog, not copy or move. Check the option to include subfolders in the left panel. That will add the folder hierarchy without changing anything, so your original hierarchy will remain intact.