• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you ever disappointed with your photos? Do you get frustrated when you’re editing because you’ve been told to move certain sliders, but never been told WHY? Do you wish you could transform your photos without having to spend hours in front of the computer? In our books, Adobe Lightroom - The Missing FAQ and Adobe Lightroom - Edit Like a Pro you’ll learn:
    • how to to analyze a photo like a pro, saving you hours of frustration.
    • WHY you might want to move specific sliders, instead of just following recipes.
    • what the sliders are doing behind the scenes.
    • how to use sliders together, instead of in isolation, so you can get the optimal result
    Lightroom Classic us based on the folder-based version of Lightroom and Edit Like a Pro is based on the cloud-native Lightroom desktop and mobile apps, but the principles also apply to Lightroom 6. The sliders are arranged into slightly different panels, but there's an included PDF that shows you where to find them in 6.
  • It's Lightroom update time again! Color Grading and improved zoom across the whole Lightroom family, plus graphical watermarks for the cloud-based Lightroom apps, as well as the usual new cameras, lens profiles and bug fixes. See this blog post for Lightroom Classic and this blog post for the Lightroom Cloud Ecosystem changes.

How to fix harsh shadows on face in LR5 - new to LR

halyogen

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Hi all, I am new here and to the use of Lightroom for my photos. I know...kinda late on that one!

Anyhow, I have some photos (don't know if allowed to share/upload the problem pic here) but there are some harsh shadows on the person's face, chin area to be specific. I do not know if there is a way to even lighten them in Lightroom 5. And yes, I have googled it but I honestly do not understand where the 'tools' are or what they are talking about in plain english :(

Again, please be kind, I am learning and would love to hear your input and learn all I can about Lightroom! :)

Many thanks,
halyogen

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Hi halogen, welcome to the forum! Don't worry, we're friendly.

You're looking for the adjustment brush, which is that brush icon just under the Histogram panel in the Develop module. There's a basic introduction in my free quick start guide that would get you going. You might also find the Shadows slider in the Basic panel helps too.

onyonet

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Hi halyogen,

I'm new to the forum, but not to LR. Victoria has given the good advice. One thing to add, be careful when using the Adjustment Brush along with Auto Mask turned on. Auto Mask can make a mess, especially in this instance. Remember too, you can always Erase what you've done or remove it completely.

I would also suggest create Virtual Copy first, CTRL' (that's the Control key and the apostrophe key together). This way, if you really hate what you did, you can Remove the Virtual Copy, make a new one, and start over. The beauty with Virtual Copies is they take very little hard drive space.

Daniel

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Welcome aboard Daniel! Excellent advice about Auto Mask.

steveyoshi

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Hello all,

Very new to this forum and to Lightroom itself. Have a bit of experience in Photoshop but I understand the basics only, so please be gentle if I sound thick.

Did my first wedding a little while ago for a long time friend, as my wedding present to him and his wife and have some great photos, except for about 7 that have harsh shadows across the face and neck/chest areas.

Of course one of these is the one that the bride wants to use on a Thank You card... so... I have tried Photoshop but the layers etc just get so difficult and time consuming and the skin tone and detail becomes lost.

Thought I would try Lightroom and see if the shadows adjustments can make a difference using an Adjustment Brush but after selecting a single area on the image (goes red) I am confused at what the best adjustment I need. Shadows, Highlights and maybe a little Contrast but I am not liking what I see.

Am I missing something ??

I have read the Quick Start guide and it helps a lot but I am struggling to make the adjustments modify so it is more pleasing to the eye.... it just doesn't seem to look quite right but I am trying to just use the image in a small postcard size and don't want to use it as harsh as it is.

Damn that bright late afternoon sun and the time pressures to get back to the Reception.

Anyway, would really appreciate any advice, I have followed what I can read here and in the Guide but as I said before feel a bit thick.

Cheers in advance
Stephen

Attachments

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
To be honest, I wouldn't try too much. The bride is obviously happy (otherwise she would not have chosen this photo), so add a global shadows adjustment without overdoing it (perhaps +50), lower the highlights to -50 or so, and leave it that way. Remember that your client decides whether or not this is a good photo, not you...

steveyoshi

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Thank you Johan... very good point !

Best mates Wife has chosen it, so I guess it is my pride that wants it better. Not so much a client either, just a favour to a friend and not a racing car like my usual images.