How to filter photos that do not have a LR XMP node?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pesto126

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Hi.. I am using a dual keywording workflow since keywording is pretty awful in LR. What I want to do is ensure all my LR edits (keywords and LR instructions) are in the LR XMP block and then use my other software to further keyword the images - I will then read the files back into LR to ensure they are in sync. Any way I can tell which photos need to have the catalog data written out to the files with an Option-S? I don't see a filter to do this... thanks!

You can select all and write it again - it should write to any that need updating or creating.

You can select all and write it again - it should write to any that need updating or creating.

Thx for your reply but I was hoping for something a bit more "elegant" than brute force. I'm not all that jazzed to touch 49,000 images not to mention the amount of time it will take to do so (LR is a dog in terms of processing) and then my backup software will freak out and re-backup 49,000 images when most of them probably don't need it (and the risk of updating all my images for no reason - there might only 100 that need updating).

Sigh - guess I'll need to look at a 3rd party tool to view the XMP block and create a text file by folder to indicate those with the missing LR XMP block...

I found the collection option to create a smart collection for metadata updated outside of LR... but why there isn't a reverse of that (metadata updated only in LR) is beyond me... another half Library module job by LR.... I really hope LR 6 gets some major Library module love... the program is great in most other ways.. but one day with Photo Supreme and keywording/mapping and I find it hard pressed to stick with LR as my DAM tool.

Lr should only touch the files that need touching -- it won't write out all 49,000 of them. (Test this by selecting one file, make a modification, write it out by pressing Command-S, check the modification date, then wait a minute, press Command-S again and check the date again.)

That said, it won't be instantaneous for it to run through all 49,000 to decide which to write, but it shouldn't take a ridiculously long time. (Test this by working on, say, selecting 100 or 1000 of them first, press Command-S, and see how long it takes.)

Sigh - guess I'll need to look at a 3rd party tool to view the XMP block and create a text file by folder to indicate those with the missing LR XMP block...
Sounds to me like you will get a lot of false negatives (pun not intended). If this tool finds an LR XMP block, it still will not know if this block is in sync with the latest changes you have made in Lightroom.

Sounds to me like you will get a lot of false negatives (pun not intended). If this tool finds an LR XMP block, it still will not know if this block is in sync with the latest changes you have made in Lightroom.

True.. and perhaps not a good idea after all..

Lr should only touch the files that need touching -- it won't write out all 49,000 of them. (Test this by selecting one file, make a modification, write it out by pressing Command-S, check the modification date, then wait a minute, press Command-S again and check the date again.)

That said, it won't be instantaneous for it to run through all 49,000 to decide which to write, but it shouldn't take a ridiculously long time. (Test this by working on, say, selecting 100 or 1000 of them first, press Command-S, and see how long it takes.)

Thx Mark - didn't think of that... will give a test to ensure LR doesn't just hit all files with an update if not needed... appreciate the idea!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back