• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

How to filter all photos by date(s) taken?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charles Lo

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Lightroom Version Number
LR for Mac 5.5
Operating System
  1. macOS 12 Monterey
I want to filter photos to show only those taken (e.g.) during 2022 - please?

Use the "By Date" option in the All Photos panel, that allows you to filter by specific day, month or year.

In the Library module:
  1. Select ALL PHOTOGRAPHS
  2. Make sure you are in GRID mode
  3. Select METADATA filter and select date
1662240708408.png

The OP is using Lightroom not Lightroom Classic
Sorry. I'm going to have to start using Victoria's suggestion of reviewing posts in each forum. I keep making this mistake

Sorry. I'm going to have to start using Victoria's suggestion of reviewing posts in each forum. I keep making this mistake
I've made the same mistake. I often use "TapaTalk" on my iPhone/iPadPro and it does not present the displayed Lightroom version. I've learned to "put my mind in gear before I put my mouth in operation". And most of the time I do. Wise words from my high school Football Coach/Math Teacher many years ago.

I want to filter photos to show only those taken (e.g.) during 2022 - please?
Thank you everyone, I use both LR classic and, less frequently, LR cloud.

I hope I am not going blind (!) but, honestly, I can not see any select by date option in LR cloud.

Any further ideas are most welcome

I hope I am not going blind (!) but, honestly, I can not see any select by date option in LR cloud.
See this screenshot:

Screenshot_05_09_2022__20_24.png

Ensure the arrow to the right of the All Photos is pointing down to expand the panel to see the other options, including the "By Date" entry.

Thank you Jim, how do I get the option panel as in your screenshot please? I would like to send a screenshot of what I see, but this system rejects my attempted upload because it's "too big".

First thing to do is confirm we are talking about the same app. Your original post specified Lightroom for Mac version 5.5, so if that is indeed the app you are using then you should see the same screen as I showed. The only other thing I can think of is that you have the left-hand panel completely hidden, in which case you need to show it by clicking on the icon that I've highlighted here:

Screenshot_05_09_2022__21_25.png

Hello Jim, thank you for your continuing help. Just to confirm, I am using Lightroom for Mac version 5.5 (on a MacBook M1 silicon Pro running Monterey 12.4).

You are correct about the sidebar being completely hidden and now, after repeatedly trying several times, I can see the side bar with date option. But, there is still something strange going on and the sidebar icon is not toggling back and forward as I would expect. Now (immediate problem solved) it is stuck with sidebar always visible - but that's an issue for another day!

Many, many thanks for taking the time to help.

Charles

In the Lightroom Preferences>Interface tab, there's a "Panel Tracks" option which has two choices: "Automatic" or "Manual". Manual means that the user controls the opening and closing of both the left and right panels, whereas Automatic means that if one panel is open and you open the second panel, the first panel automatically closes. You can still have both panels closed in Automatic mode, but you can't have both panels open in that mode.

My personal preference is "Manual", as I very rarely close the left-hand panel (as that's needed for navigation and organising purposes).

In the Lightroom Preferences>Interface tab, there's a "Panel Tracks" option which has two choices: "Automatic" or "Manual". Manual means that the user controls the opening and closing of both the left and right panels, whereas Automatic means that if one panel is open and you open the second panel, the first panel automatically closes. You can still have both panels closed in Automatic mode, but you can't have both panels open in that mode.

My personal preference is "Manual", as I very rarely close the left-hand panel (as that's needed for navigation and organising purposes).
Thank you Jim for your hugely helpful advice. I've now changed from automatic to manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back