• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

How to feather subject mask edges?

Status
Not open for further replies.

newmoon

Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
  2. Windows 11
I think this question applies to all Lightroom versions (Classic and iPad) - when you make a Subject Mask, how do you feather or soften the edges?
I just started using LR on iPad yesterday evening and was seeing artifacts at the edge of a building when I masked the subject (building), inverted and then reduced the exposure on the sky by even 1 stop?
Do I need to add a brush mask along the edges or something? If so are there suggested settings?
Thanks.

There's no control over the pixel edge like in Ps, so yes, it's use a brush.

Hi Paul, thank you.
Please can I ask a further question - how do I draw a brush in a straight line (in LR and in LR for iPad)? I've tried Shift + the brush (on the desktop version) and it either doesn't work or moves the entire brushstroke location.
I have tried looking it up also, but not found another solution.
Thanks.

Okay, so it isn't available on iPad to my knowledge, but Shift + Drag works on the Desktop.

With the Brush, click on the photo, then hold Shift and drag to your end point.

I appreciate that's different to Classic where you can hold Shift first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back