• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

How to edit photos in professional ways?

Status
Not open for further replies.

adonetok

Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I learn to use LR and DeNoise about half year and like very much these two apps.
But, I am still not satisfied with my editing works.

Here are steps I took to edit photos.
1) Save photos in CR3 file type and import into LR,
2) Select edit from LR and then use DeNoise to remove noises if necessary save as TFF file,
3) In LR, crop photos, from Develop panel, basic, clicking "Auto" to update exposure, contrast..., and do some manual adjust,
4) Finally, export photos as JPG file type.

What more steps do I need to take?
Do I need to do calibration?

This is a very open ended question with no simple answer. There are hundreds of tutorials on YouTube that address this question.
I just ran a Google search on "How do I make my photos look professional in Lightroom?" . You can see many many choices of videos and websites.

A lot will depend on the type of photo you are editing - landscape, portrait, still life, etc.
Eventually, you will find a style that pleases you.

And yes, you will want to calibrate your monitor.

And keep practicing.

Good luck.

BTW - I forgot.
I have been doing this since LR v1, and I have used multiple other software along the way.
LR is still my main package today.
But I still have a lot to learn.
I will be attending numerous seminars this week at the Photoshop virtual summit. See the top of this page.
They are free.
I am counting on learning a lot.

You should sit in on many of these seminars, and it will help you in your journey of improvement.

I learn to use LR and DeNoise about half year and like very much these two apps.
But, I am still not satisfied with my editing works.

Here are steps I took to edit photos.
1) Save photos in CR3 file type and import into LR,
2) Select edit from LR and then use DeNoise to remove noises if necessary save as TFF file,
3) In LR, crop photos, from Develop panel, basic, clicking "Auto" to update exposure, contrast..., and do some manual adjust,
4) Finally, export photos as JPG file type.

What more steps do I need to take?
Do I need to do calibration?
Calibration is important if you do professional work. It does not hurt to calibrate so you see/print the proper colours. Auto adjusts Vibrance and Saturation but not these - Texture, Clarity and Dehaze. All my files have those 3 tweaked to some degree. I also apply lens corrections. Slight vignetting can add a nice touch.

Advanced stuff. I use the graduated filter quite a bit. Great for sunsets, etc. Both it and the radial filter for B&W. The wand is handy. HSL is handy.

Do you need DeNoise for every file? LrC can do a pretty good job and it is faster. I only use 3rd party noise software for troublesome files.

This is $15 and has some great information. I'm not affiliated with the author or site.

https://backcountrygallery.com/new-video-workshop-noise-reduction-using-lr-ps/

I thought about our brief conversation when I received this email from Adobe when they were talking about the upcoming Adobe Max.

Take a look at 28 types of photography | Photography styles & genres | Adobe

and

https://creativecloud.adobe.com/cc/...rait-photography?trackingid=45P49R4B&mv=email
There are a lot of good tips here.
@Jimmsp

Yes, some good info, but in the topics I read, there was a lot of generality. I'm not trying to humble-brag here, but I suspect that most members of this forum are more skilled than the target audience for these Adobe tips.

Calibration is important if you do professional work. It does not hurt to calibrate so you see/print the proper colours. Auto adjusts Vibrance and Saturation but not these - Texture, Clarity and Dehaze. All my files have those 3 tweaked to some degree. I also apply lens corrections. Slight vignetting can add a nice touch.

Advanced stuff. I use the graduated filter quite a bit. Great for sunsets, etc. Both it and the radial filter for B&W. The wand is handy. HSL is handy.

Do you need DeNoise for every file? LrC can do a pretty good job and it is faster. I only use 3rd party noise software for troublesome files.

This is $15 and has some great information. I'm not affiliated with the author or site.

https://backcountrygallery.com/new-video-workshop-noise-reduction-using-lr-ps/
@Zenon,

this course seemed like a great idea, and very useful. Then I noticed the announcement date of Nov. 1, 2018. That's almost four years ago. if this course gets updated to 2021 or 2022, and covering all the recent releases of products that now incorporate AI, then I'll sign up right away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back