• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

How to create smart collection based on existence of Title

Status
Not open for further replies.

burt

Lightroom Version Number
11.0 Classic
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
  2. macOS 11 Big Sur
  3. macOS 12 Monterey
This used to work, but now does not, as LRC 11.0.

I want to create a smart collection based a small number of criteria -- has star rating at least 2, has color flag of blue, and has a title assigned.

The first two work fine. However, it refused to filter based on "title is not empty."

I believe the reason is that the popup shows a selection of "*title" rather than just "title".

Is there a way to fix this, so I can filter again on whether a title has been defined? (Note that the same '*' also precedes title, caption, and headline.

Solution
I believe the reason is that the popup shows a selection of "*title" rather than just "title".
Ah, I think you have the "jb: Search + Replace" plugin installed, and you're selecting the menu item "Title *" that appears at the bottom of the menu -- that's a custom plugin field added by that plugin. The "real" Title field in smart collections is in the Other Metadata submenu:

1636506383649.png
Ah, I think you have the "jb: Search + Replace" plugin installed, and you're selecting the menu item "Title *" that appears at the bottom of the menu -- that's a custom plugin field added by that plugin. The "real" Title field in smart collections is in the Other Metadata submenu:

1636506383649.png

Solution
Glad you got it resolved. LR should add captions to the menu that identify the plugins adding the custom fields, to avoid this confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back