• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

How to create general presets for use when importing files from camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankU

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
LR Classic 10.3
Operating System
  1. macOS 11 Big Sur
I am coming from LR 6.14 to LR Classic. In LR 6.14 I used a general importing preset on all uploads from the camera and then fiddled with the settings a wee bit until I was happy, new image to new image.

I have prepared one recent image in the catalog that has all the desired import presets (exposure, sharpness, ... through grain...).
How can I make these settings to automatically be applied to all future imports?

I know about the little black line below the import command. Recently I managed to set up such a 'user preset'. But it would not affect the uploads at all. And now my user preset values, the preset's name etc is no longer anywhere to be found; my 'user presets' are empty ... where have they gone.

I would like to have a simple import process : (1) set up a user preset for importing somehow (so that it does not disappear the next day)
(2) apply it to all future imports automatically, and (3) would it be possible to adjust such a general import preset later when needed.
Thanks!

I am not completely sure what you are asking. Lightroom Classic works the same way as Lightroom 6 did, so if you know how to create presets, know how to apply a develop preset on import and know the difference between that and an import preset, then nothing has changed for you.

Here is my workaround (tedious, not optimal), but with lots of effort it works:

I looked at the one pic with the optimal general presets. I clicked on the plus + sign in the develop (or was this in the Library module, I already forgot) and named this as a user preset "pre66gen". All done once and there again forever, or so i hope .

Now I work on each day of images serarately (Aug 6 through 12 this morning )... a very tedious and not optimal process for me:

I go to the develop module for one days' photographs, (37, 5, or 200 plus items), click command-A (on Mac) and then, on the first image there in that day's list,I follow with a click on the user general preset in the long given Adobe list.
And thus the first image of that day's work is optimally preset,-- except that I always need to add the lens default and the automatic chroma repair to it by hand.. (Why that does not appear in the preset automatically, I cannot fathom). The 'contain crop' check does, however, appear !

Then a simple option-command-S click (on Mac) sets all development settings as they should be for that day's pics
And onto the next day , repeat this process ... until all days are done.
Then move all these updated daily picture folders (August 6, 7 , ... 12) one by one into the monthly list (August021).

I wish to learn how to do all of this directly via LR during import, but whatever I have tried to set up in the Develop module as an 'import preset' has not worked at all and I have continually ended up with 37, 5 or 200 plus pictures that I had to preset by hand each and every one, day by day.

BAH, BUH, Bad ...

LR Classic, have you no mercy? This was so easy in LR 6.14 ... I guess I do not understand how to make an import preset and I read only more confusing details that I cannot implement on my Develop screen

Last edited:
What is the difference between a develop preset on import and an import preset? I do not know or understand this difference, sorry. And that may mess me up in LR Classic. Can anyone help constructively on what I should do where and how in the Develop module.

Thanks,
develop preset on import and know the difference between that and an import preset

A Develop Preset is one that you can apply when editing the image, and it adjusts the image as per the settings in the preset (note also that you can use your develop preset to automatically apply Lens Corrections).

An Import Preset is one that can only be created and used in the Import dialog and is used to set your import preferences (preview type, destination, organisation type, import type, etc.).

What tends to make things a little confusing for the unwary is that in the import dialog, in the "Apply during Import" panel, it is possible to specify a develop preset (and/or a metadata preset and/or keywords) which would then be applied to all the images during the import. The settings in that panel are part of the many things that you can include in an Import preset, i.e. you use an import preset to automatically apply a develop preset during import.

Create an ISO Adaptive preset. I set it up so Texture, Clarity, Dehaze, Sharpening, Detail, Masking and NR all auto apply at import based on the ISO of each file. Lens Corrections and CA also apply at import. You can do anything you want using the ISO Adaptive Preset.

Create an ISO Adaptive preset. I set it up so Texture, Clarity, Dehaze, Sharpening, Detail, Masking and NR all auto apply at import based on the ISO of each file. Lens Corrections and CA also apply at import. You can do anything you want using the ISO Adaptive Preset.
So how do I set something like that up. It is much more involved and complicated than this was at LR 6.14. How can I use my "general presets" as explained earlier? Do I have to specify each parameter individually for an import preset definition. Where do I do that on my screen? No doubt I am confused with this new way of specifying, rather than taking a given preset and applying it on import to all imports.

Practical help? Where can I find a video, a readable list of the steps where and how to ... insert what.
On LR 6.14 I did have Iso dependent NR settings, too, but that resulted in a handful of specific import presets there.
I can do that again, once I know how to start where in LR Classic with one Iso.

Thanks, Zenon!

Frank

It's pretty basic. I just use two ISO's (high and low) to create mine. I keep it in User Presets. I'm not a preset expert. I'm not sure how to apply general presets with other ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDEcHNOuSCM

For importing I just set it up on the import page using this dialogue. I basically only use that preset when importing. If I want to apply a different preset when editing I do that on the develop page.

Attachments

• Screen-Shot-2021-08-13-at-2.34.36-PM.jpg
    Screen-Shot-2021-08-13-at-2.34.36-PM.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 138
So how do I set something like that up. It is much more involved and complicated than this was at LR 6.14...
Practical help? Where can I find a video, a readable list of the steps where and how to ... insert what.
I keep these Adobe bookmarks around to remind myself how it all works. The first is general background about the preset hierarchy…
Streamline Edits with the Improved Raw Defaults

…and these are the specific steps:
How to Create Custom Raw Defaults in Adobe Camera Raw (applies to the current version of Lightroom Classic)

Yes, it’s more complicated…it’s the classic tradeoff between power and simplicity. It’s less simple because it got more powerful and flexible, with the ability to be both automatic and also tailored to adapt to your specific cameras and preferences (default profile, ISO speed…). This mostly benefits those who own multiple cameras or shoot under varying conditions. The more uniform your shooting environment and the fewer cameras you have, the less interesting the changes are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back